Re: [mythsoc] Clueless Reader

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 7, 2003
      So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

      I can't wait to read it!
      Anne

    • Jack
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
        >So.... so someone doesn't like a book and sends a nasty email. Rude and
        >pointless as it may be, how is it all that unusual? Stuff like that turns
        >up in periodical readers' mail all the time. The opinions sound pretty
        >well within the scope of normal, if extreme. What is the important point
        >that I am missing here that separates this particular piece of nasty online
        >powertripping from any other? Or are such nastygrams really rare and I am
        >just a cynical NYer?

        Not at all uncommon. At Green Man, we did a negative review of Clement
        Davies' The Sight novel. The reviewer
        has gotten dozens of emails complaining about how unfair the review is. And
        right now, I have in my inbox, an email
        from a well-known Irish music reviewer complaining that we gavea favorable
        review of a book that he didn't like!

      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
          From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

          > So.... so someone doesn't like a book and sends a nasty email. Rude and
          > pointless as it may be, how is it all that unusual? Stuff like that turns
          > up in periodical readers' mail all the time. The opinions sound pretty
          > well within the scope of normal, if extreme. What is the important point
          > that I am missing here that separates this particular piece of nasty
          online
          > powertripping from any other?

          Well, considering the recipient, I find it pretty amazing. I have not read
          this particular book of Yolen's, but she's a writer who I would not hesitate
          to recommend to anyone wanting to *avoid* "filth."

          Berni
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
            In a message dated 7/8/2003 7:30:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
            bernip@... writes:

            > I have not read
            > this particular book of Yolen's, but she's a writer who I would not hesitate
            > to recommend to anyone wanting to *avoid* "filth."

            I'd agree that an incestuous mother-son relationship is not precisely what I
            long to see in children's fiction, if that's indeed what Yolen did, but then I
            am an old biddy, or geezerette as a friend of mine says.

            Even in ONCE AND FUTURE KING, White kind of skates over the Arthur/Morgause
            relationship, though he DOES say what happened; and he is not writing for
            children.

            Diamond Proudbrook

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
              The hint of incest between Morgan/Morgause and
              Mordred/Medraut is hardly
              a new thing in Arthurian novels
              I'd venture a guess the complainer has never read any of the
              more modern
              novels.
              Bill

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
                So, if I understand this correctly, what Jane Yolen is bothered about is not
                that a reader has written her to complain about her book. That doubtlessly
                happens all the time, and most of the time the writer might just as well ignore
                the complaints. Apparently what's bothering Yolen is that the reader is so
                clueless in her complaints. Yolen thinks that everybody should know that incest
                is part of the story of King Arthur, whereas this reader thinks that Yolen is
                introducing it into the story. Furthermore, Yolen thinks that this person's
                complaints about the name given to Merlin in the story is ridiculous.

              • Matthew Winslow
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
                  WendellWag@... [WendellWag@...] wrote:
                  > what Jane Yolen is bothered about is not
                  <snip>
                  >Apparently what's bothering Yolen
                  <snip>
                  > Yolen thinks
                  <snip>
                  > Furthermore, Yolen thinks

                  Um, is it just me, or did anyone else not receive the email that Wendell is
                  referring to? All I got was what Joan forwarded that had a brief comment from
                  Ms. Yolen, and not much more. Something that brief certainly could not produce
                  such insight into Ms. Yolen's thinking process.

                  "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the
                  people."
                  --Oscar Wilde
                  Currently reading: Naimh and the Hermit by Emily C.A. Snyder
                • Jack
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
                    >Um, is it just me, or did anyone else not receive the email that Wendell is
                    >referring to? All I got was what Joan forwarded that had a brief comment from
                    >Ms. Yolen, and not much more. Something that brief certainly could not produce
                    >such insight into Ms. Yolen's thinking process.

                    Here is is, courtest of JAne who tells me it's the first real hate mail
                    she's ever gotten.

                    ***

                    The Pub Message Board
                    [ Post a Response | The Pub Message Board ]

                    My First REAL hate mail

                    Posted by Jane Yolen on July 7, 2003, 2:09 am
                    User logged in as: pen

                    Thought you might be fascinated by this. And while I was tempted to
                    write:" Dear Ms. Sims, I thought you should know that some crazy person has
                    somehow gotten hold of your computer and has been sending out bizarre
                    mail..." I didn't.

                    Jane

                    Ms. Yolen,
                    I am currently about 30 pages into the piece of trash "book" that you
                    have called "Sword of the Rightful King." Ôø‡I do not know where to start
                    on my soon to be brutal criticism of this disgrace to literature.
                    Ôø‡Firstly, what were you thinking changing the story of King Arthur? Ôø‡
                    If you're going to change the story, then change the story, but make up
                    your mind and don't steal character names to make your failure seem more
                    impressive. Ôø‡Similarly, if you have decided to keep the same character
                    names, then KEEP THE SAME CHARACTER NAMES. Ôø‡ I don't know if there was
                    some ancient tale that told of Merlin's name being Merlinnus, but I really
                    couldn't care less. Ôø‡Anyone who would read this book (or be forced to
                    read this book in my case) would not know that Merlinnus was his real name.
                    Ôø‡ In the event that you were just in a goofy mood and thought you'd have
                    some fun with names, I think you are even more of a disgrace to young adult
                    authors than I had before. Ôø‡I do not really see a very clear
                    definition of what age group this filth should be applied to either.
                    Ôø‡You say that it is a book intended for young adults, and I guess that
                    you are probably pretty close, atleast you found a mean between the two
                    ridiculous extremes I'm about to describe to you. Ôø‡ The writing style,
                    type face, and crazilly large margins seem as if intended for young
                    children, and maybe you have no control over the publishing, but you do
                    have complete control (ignoring the influence of editors) Ôø‡over the sort
                    of language used in the novel. Ôø‡ As opposed to the childish writing style
                    employed in this trainwreck, I have already, by page 30, noticed several
                    things that would not be appropriate for children under 16 to be reading in
                    literature. Ôø‡I am referring obviously to your use of the word "damn"
                    constantly, and your placing innappropriate, unnecessary, and really quite
                    disgusting sexual themes where ever they can be put. Ôø‡ I am appalled to
                    think of children who have read this shameful production of
                    garbage and having been influence

                  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 10, 2003
                      So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

                      I can't wait to read it!
                      Anne

                      It's on my "To Read" list. ---djb

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 10, 2003
                        >So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

                        I think that it was reference to incest.