Re: [mythsoc] Clueless Reader

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 7, 2003
      So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

    • jamcconney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 7, 2003
        So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

        I can't wait to read it!
        Anne

      • Jack
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
          >So.... so someone doesn't like a book and sends a nasty email. Rude and
          >pointless as it may be, how is it all that unusual? Stuff like that turns
          >up in periodical readers' mail all the time. The opinions sound pretty
          >well within the scope of normal, if extreme. What is the important point
          >that I am missing here that separates this particular piece of nasty online
          >powertripping from any other? Or are such nastygrams really rare and I am
          >just a cynical NYer?

          Not at all uncommon. At Green Man, we did a negative review of Clement
          Davies' The Sight novel. The reviewer
          has gotten dozens of emails complaining about how unfair the review is. And
          right now, I have in my inbox, an email
          from a well-known Irish music reviewer complaining that we gavea favorable
          review of a book that he didn't like!

        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
            From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

            > So.... so someone doesn't like a book and sends a nasty email. Rude and
            > pointless as it may be, how is it all that unusual? Stuff like that turns
            > up in periodical readers' mail all the time. The opinions sound pretty
            > well within the scope of normal, if extreme. What is the important point
            > that I am missing here that separates this particular piece of nasty
            online
            > powertripping from any other?

            Well, considering the recipient, I find it pretty amazing. I have not read
            this particular book of Yolen's, but she's a writer who I would not hesitate
            to recommend to anyone wanting to *avoid* "filth."

            Berni
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
              In a message dated 7/8/2003 7:30:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
              bernip@... writes:

              > I have not read
              > this particular book of Yolen's, but she's a writer who I would not hesitate
              > to recommend to anyone wanting to *avoid* "filth."

              I'd agree that an incestuous mother-son relationship is not precisely what I
              long to see in children's fiction, if that's indeed what Yolen did, but then I
              am an old biddy, or geezerette as a friend of mine says.

              Even in ONCE AND FUTURE KING, White kind of skates over the Arthur/Morgause
              relationship, though he DOES say what happened; and he is not writing for
              children.

              Diamond Proudbrook

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
                The hint of incest between Morgan/Morgause and
                Mordred/Medraut is hardly
                a new thing in Arthurian novels
                I'd venture a guess the complainer has never read any of the
                more modern
                novels.
                Bill

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
                  So, if I understand this correctly, what Jane Yolen is bothered about is not
                  that a reader has written her to complain about her book. That doubtlessly
                  happens all the time, and most of the time the writer might just as well ignore
                  the complaints. Apparently what's bothering Yolen is that the reader is so
                  clueless in her complaints. Yolen thinks that everybody should know that incest
                  is part of the story of King Arthur, whereas this reader thinks that Yolen is
                  introducing it into the story. Furthermore, Yolen thinks that this person's
                  complaints about the name given to Merlin in the story is ridiculous.

                • Matthew Winslow
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
                    WendellWag@... [WendellWag@...] wrote:
                    > what Jane Yolen is bothered about is not
                    <snip>
                    >Apparently what's bothering Yolen
                    <snip>
                    > Yolen thinks
                    <snip>
                    > Furthermore, Yolen thinks

                    Um, is it just me, or did anyone else not receive the email that Wendell is
                    referring to? All I got was what Joan forwarded that had a brief comment from
                    Ms. Yolen, and not much more. Something that brief certainly could not produce
                    such insight into Ms. Yolen's thinking process.

                    "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the
                    people."
                    --Oscar Wilde
                    Currently reading: Naimh and the Hermit by Emily C.A. Snyder
                  • Jack
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
                      >Um, is it just me, or did anyone else not receive the email that Wendell is
                      >referring to? All I got was what Joan forwarded that had a brief comment from
                      >Ms. Yolen, and not much more. Something that brief certainly could not produce
                      >such insight into Ms. Yolen's thinking process.

                      Here is is, courtest of JAne who tells me it's the first real hate mail
                      she's ever gotten.

                      ***

                      The Pub Message Board
                      [ Post a Response | The Pub Message Board ]

                      My First REAL hate mail

                      Posted by Jane Yolen on July 7, 2003, 2:09 am
                      User logged in as: pen

                      Thought you might be fascinated by this. And while I was tempted to
                      write:" Dear Ms. Sims, I thought you should know that some crazy person has
                      somehow gotten hold of your computer and has been sending out bizarre
                      mail..." I didn't.

                      Jane

                      Ms. Yolen,
                      I am currently about 30 pages into the piece of trash "book" that you
                      have called "Sword of the Rightful King." Ôø‡I do not know where to start
                      on my soon to be brutal criticism of this disgrace to literature.
                      Ôø‡Firstly, what were you thinking changing the story of King Arthur? Ôø‡
                      If you're going to change the story, then change the story, but make up
                      your mind and don't steal character names to make your failure seem more
                      impressive. Ôø‡Similarly, if you have decided to keep the same character
                      names, then KEEP THE SAME CHARACTER NAMES. Ôø‡ I don't know if there was
                      some ancient tale that told of Merlin's name being Merlinnus, but I really
                      couldn't care less. Ôø‡Anyone who would read this book (or be forced to
                      read this book in my case) would not know that Merlinnus was his real name.
                      Ôø‡ In the event that you were just in a goofy mood and thought you'd have
                      some fun with names, I think you are even more of a disgrace to young adult
                      authors than I had before. Ôø‡I do not really see a very clear
                      definition of what age group this filth should be applied to either.
                      Ôø‡You say that it is a book intended for young adults, and I guess that
                      you are probably pretty close, atleast you found a mean between the two
                      ridiculous extremes I'm about to describe to you. Ôø‡ The writing style,
                      type face, and crazilly large margins seem as if intended for young
                      children, and maybe you have no control over the publishing, but you do
                      have complete control (ignoring the influence of editors) Ôø‡over the sort
                      of language used in the novel. Ôø‡ As opposed to the childish writing style
                      employed in this trainwreck, I have already, by page 30, noticed several
                      things that would not be appropriate for children under 16 to be reading in
                      literature. Ôø‡I am referring obviously to your use of the word "damn"
                      constantly, and your placing innappropriate, unnecessary, and really quite
                      disgusting sexual themes where ever they can be put. Ôø‡ I am appalled to
                      think of children who have read this shameful production of
                      garbage and having been influence

                    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 10, 2003
                        So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

                        I can't wait to read it!
                        Anne

                        It's on my "To Read" list. ---djb

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 10, 2003
                          >So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

                          I think that it was reference to incest.