Re: [mythsoc] Clueless Reader

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 6, 1945
      So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 6, 1945
        So.... so someone doesn't like a book and sends a nasty email. Rude and
        pointless as it may be, how is it all that unusual? Stuff like that turns
        up in periodical readers' mail all the time. The opinions sound pretty
        well within the scope of normal, if extreme. What is the important point
        that I am missing here that separates this particular piece of nasty online
        powertripping from any other? Or are such nastygrams really rare and I am
        just a cynical NYer?

        btw my sympathies to Ms. Yolen and any other initial recipients. Getting
        these things is like getting kicked in the chest. Petty as they are and
        all that, they still sting.

        Ticks me off that people are so cowardly.... uh oh I feel a rant coming
        on....

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • jamcconney@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 6, 1945
          So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

          I can't wait to read it!
          Anne

        • Jack
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 6, 1945
            >So.... so someone doesn't like a book and sends a nasty email. Rude and
            >pointless as it may be, how is it all that unusual? Stuff like that turns
            >up in periodical readers' mail all the time. The opinions sound pretty
            >well within the scope of normal, if extreme. What is the important point
            >that I am missing here that separates this particular piece of nasty online
            >powertripping from any other? Or are such nastygrams really rare and I am
            >just a cynical NYer?

            Not at all uncommon. At Green Man, we did a negative review of Clement
            Davies' The Sight novel. The reviewer
            has gotten dozens of emails complaining about how unfair the review is. And
            right now, I have in my inbox, an email
            from a well-known Irish music reviewer complaining that we gavea favorable
            review of a book that he didn't like!

          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 7, 1945
              From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

              > So.... so someone doesn't like a book and sends a nasty email. Rude and
              > pointless as it may be, how is it all that unusual? Stuff like that turns
              > up in periodical readers' mail all the time. The opinions sound pretty
              > well within the scope of normal, if extreme. What is the important point
              > that I am missing here that separates this particular piece of nasty
              online
              > powertripping from any other?

              Well, considering the recipient, I find it pretty amazing. I have not read
              this particular book of Yolen's, but she's a writer who I would not hesitate
              to recommend to anyone wanting to *avoid* "filth."

              Berni
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 7, 1945
                In a message dated 7/8/2003 7:30:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
                bernip@... writes:

                > I have not read
                > this particular book of Yolen's, but she's a writer who I would not hesitate
                > to recommend to anyone wanting to *avoid* "filth."

                I'd agree that an incestuous mother-son relationship is not precisely what I
                long to see in children's fiction, if that's indeed what Yolen did, but then I
                am an old biddy, or geezerette as a friend of mine says.

                Even in ONCE AND FUTURE KING, White kind of skates over the Arthur/Morgause
                relationship, though he DOES say what happened; and he is not writing for
                children.

                Diamond Proudbrook

              • Bill
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 7, 1945
                  The hint of incest between Morgan/Morgause and
                  Mordred/Medraut is hardly
                  a new thing in Arthurian novels
                  I'd venture a guess the complainer has never read any of the
                  more modern
                  novels.
                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 8, 1945
                    So, if I understand this correctly, what Jane Yolen is bothered about is not
                    that a reader has written her to complain about her book. That doubtlessly
                    happens all the time, and most of the time the writer might just as well ignore
                    the complaints. Apparently what's bothering Yolen is that the reader is so
                    clueless in her complaints. Yolen thinks that everybody should know that incest
                    is part of the story of King Arthur, whereas this reader thinks that Yolen is
                    introducing it into the story. Furthermore, Yolen thinks that this person's
                    complaints about the name given to Merlin in the story is ridiculous.

                  • Matthew Winslow
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 8, 1945
                      WendellWag@... [WendellWag@...] wrote:
                      > what Jane Yolen is bothered about is not
                      <snip>
                      >Apparently what's bothering Yolen
                      <snip>
                      > Yolen thinks
                      <snip>
                      > Furthermore, Yolen thinks

                      Um, is it just me, or did anyone else not receive the email that Wendell is
                      referring to? All I got was what Joan forwarded that had a brief comment from
                      Ms. Yolen, and not much more. Something that brief certainly could not produce
                      such insight into Ms. Yolen's thinking process.

                      "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the
                      people."
                      --Oscar Wilde
                      Currently reading: Naimh and the Hermit by Emily C.A. Snyder
                    • Jack
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 8, 1945
                        >Um, is it just me, or did anyone else not receive the email that Wendell is
                        >referring to? All I got was what Joan forwarded that had a brief comment from
                        >Ms. Yolen, and not much more. Something that brief certainly could not produce
                        >such insight into Ms. Yolen's thinking process.

                        Here is is, courtest of JAne who tells me it's the first real hate mail
                        she's ever gotten.

                        ***

                        The Pub Message Board
                        [ Post a Response | The Pub Message Board ]

                        My First REAL hate mail

                        Posted by Jane Yolen on July 7, 2003, 2:09 am
                        User logged in as: pen

                        Thought you might be fascinated by this. And while I was tempted to
                        write:" Dear Ms. Sims, I thought you should know that some crazy person has
                        somehow gotten hold of your computer and has been sending out bizarre
                        mail..." I didn't.

                        Jane

                        Ms. Yolen,
                        I am currently about 30 pages into the piece of trash "book" that you
                        have called "Sword of the Rightful King." Ôø‡I do not know where to start
                        on my soon to be brutal criticism of this disgrace to literature.
                        Ôø‡Firstly, what were you thinking changing the story of King Arthur? Ôø‡
                        If you're going to change the story, then change the story, but make up
                        your mind and don't steal character names to make your failure seem more
                        impressive. Ôø‡Similarly, if you have decided to keep the same character
                        names, then KEEP THE SAME CHARACTER NAMES. Ôø‡ I don't know if there was
                        some ancient tale that told of Merlin's name being Merlinnus, but I really
                        couldn't care less. Ôø‡Anyone who would read this book (or be forced to
                        read this book in my case) would not know that Merlinnus was his real name.
                        Ôø‡ In the event that you were just in a goofy mood and thought you'd have
                        some fun with names, I think you are even more of a disgrace to young adult
                        authors than I had before. Ôø‡I do not really see a very clear
                        definition of what age group this filth should be applied to either.
                        Ôø‡You say that it is a book intended for young adults, and I guess that
                        you are probably pretty close, atleast you found a mean between the two
                        ridiculous extremes I'm about to describe to you. Ôø‡ The writing style,
                        type face, and crazilly large margins seem as if intended for young
                        children, and maybe you have no control over the publishing, but you do
                        have complete control (ignoring the influence of editors) Ôø‡over the sort
                        of language used in the novel. Ôø‡ As opposed to the childish writing style
                        employed in this trainwreck, I have already, by page 30, noticed several
                        things that would not be appropriate for children under 16 to be reading in
                        literature. Ôø‡I am referring obviously to your use of the word "damn"
                        constantly, and your placing innappropriate, unnecessary, and really quite
                        disgusting sexual themes where ever they can be put. Ôø‡ I am appalled to
                        think of children who have read this shameful production of
                        garbage and having been influence

                      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 9, 1945
                          So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

                          I can't wait to read it!
                          Anne

                          It's on my "To Read" list. ---djb

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 9, 1945
                            >So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

                            I think that it was reference to incest.