Clueless Reader

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 7, 2003
      [Reposted here by permission of Jane Yolen:]

      Thought you might be fascinated by this. And while I was tempted to
      write:"
      Dear Ms. Sims, I thought you should know that some crazy person has
      somehow
      gotten hold of your computer and has been sending out bizarre mail..." I
      didn't.

      Jane
      Subj:
      "Sword of the Rightful King"

      Date:
      7/6/2003 9:39:53 PM Eastern Standard Time

      From:
      [name deleted]

      To:
      Jane Yolen

      Sent from the Internet (Details)

      Ms. Yolen,
      I am currently about 30 pages into the piece of trash "book" that you
      have
      called "Sword of the Rightful King." I do not know where to start on my
      soon to be brutal criticism of this disgrace to literature. Firstly,
      what
      were you thinking changing the story of King Arthur? If you're going
      change the story, then change the story, but make up your mind and don't
      steal character names to make your failure seem more impressive.
      Similarly,
      if you have decided to keep the same character names, then KEEP THE SAME
      CHARACTER NAMES. I don't know if there was some ancient tale that told
      of Merlin's name being Merlinnus, but I really couldn't care less.
      Anyone
      who would read this book (or be forced to read this book in my case)
      would
      not know that Merlinnus was his real name. In the event that you were
      just in a goofy mood and thought you'd have some fun with names, I think
      you are even more of a disgrace to young adult authors than I had
      before.
      I do not really see a very clear
      definition of what age group this filth should be applied to either.
      You
      say that it is a book intended for young adults, and I guess that you
      are
      probably pretty close, atleast you found a mean between the two
      ridiculous
      extremes I'm about to describe to you. The writing style, type face,
      and
      crazilly large margins seem as if intended for young children, and maybe
      you have no control over the publishing, but you do have complete
      control
      (ignoring the influence of editors) over the sort of language used in
      the
      novel. As opposed to the childish writing style employed in this
      trainwreck,
      I have already, by page 30, noticed several things that would not be
      appropriate
      for children under 16 to be reading in literature. I am referring
      obviously
      to your use of the word "damn" constantly, and your placing
      innappropriate,
      unnecessary, and really quite disgusting sexual themes where ever they
      can
      be put. I am appalled to think of children who have read this shameful
      production of
      garbage and having been influenced by your sickening use of sexual and
      even
      insestual themes. I don't know what sort of relationship Gawaine and
      his
      mother, Morgause, have, but regardless of whether what you're writing
      was
      in a tale or just made up, it's one hundred percent innapropriate. I
      will
      finish this book, as tedious and slow it is to read, but unless there is
      a drastic improvement on every point I've mentioned so far, I will not
      only
      condemn this book to the librarian who asked that I read it, but also to
      anyone who is willing to listen. If there was a license to have books
      published, I would hope that yours would be torn, shredded, and burned,
      along with every copy ever printed of "Sword of the Rightful King."
      With deepest sympathy for any who've suffered through this whole book,

      [name of sender]
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 7, 2003
        So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 7, 2003
          So.... so someone doesn't like a book and sends a nasty email. Rude and
          pointless as it may be, how is it all that unusual? Stuff like that turns
          up in periodical readers' mail all the time. The opinions sound pretty
          well within the scope of normal, if extreme. What is the important point
          that I am missing here that separates this particular piece of nasty online
          powertripping from any other? Or are such nastygrams really rare and I am
          just a cynical NYer?

          btw my sympathies to Ms. Yolen and any other initial recipients. Getting
          these things is like getting kicked in the chest. Petty as they are and
          all that, they still sting.

          Ticks me off that people are so cowardly.... uh oh I feel a rant coming
          on....

          Lizzie Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • jamcconney@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 7, 2003
            So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

            I can't wait to read it!
            Anne

          • Jack
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
              >So.... so someone doesn't like a book and sends a nasty email. Rude and
              >pointless as it may be, how is it all that unusual? Stuff like that turns
              >up in periodical readers' mail all the time. The opinions sound pretty
              >well within the scope of normal, if extreme. What is the important point
              >that I am missing here that separates this particular piece of nasty online
              >powertripping from any other? Or are such nastygrams really rare and I am
              >just a cynical NYer?

              Not at all uncommon. At Green Man, we did a negative review of Clement
              Davies' The Sight novel. The reviewer
              has gotten dozens of emails complaining about how unfair the review is. And
              right now, I have in my inbox, an email
              from a well-known Irish music reviewer complaining that we gavea favorable
              review of a book that he didn't like!

            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
                From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

                > So.... so someone doesn't like a book and sends a nasty email. Rude and
                > pointless as it may be, how is it all that unusual? Stuff like that turns
                > up in periodical readers' mail all the time. The opinions sound pretty
                > well within the scope of normal, if extreme. What is the important point
                > that I am missing here that separates this particular piece of nasty
                online
                > powertripping from any other?

                Well, considering the recipient, I find it pretty amazing. I have not read
                this particular book of Yolen's, but she's a writer who I would not hesitate
                to recommend to anyone wanting to *avoid* "filth."

                Berni
              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
                  In a message dated 7/8/2003 7:30:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  bernip@... writes:

                  > I have not read
                  > this particular book of Yolen's, but she's a writer who I would not hesitate
                  > to recommend to anyone wanting to *avoid* "filth."

                  I'd agree that an incestuous mother-son relationship is not precisely what I
                  long to see in children's fiction, if that's indeed what Yolen did, but then I
                  am an old biddy, or geezerette as a friend of mine says.

                  Even in ONCE AND FUTURE KING, White kind of skates over the Arthur/Morgause
                  relationship, though he DOES say what happened; and he is not writing for
                  children.

                  Diamond Proudbrook

                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
                    The hint of incest between Morgan/Morgause and
                    Mordred/Medraut is hardly
                    a new thing in Arthurian novels
                    I'd venture a guess the complainer has never read any of the
                    more modern
                    novels.
                    Bill

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
                      So, if I understand this correctly, what Jane Yolen is bothered about is not
                      that a reader has written her to complain about her book. That doubtlessly
                      happens all the time, and most of the time the writer might just as well ignore
                      the complaints. Apparently what's bothering Yolen is that the reader is so
                      clueless in her complaints. Yolen thinks that everybody should know that incest
                      is part of the story of King Arthur, whereas this reader thinks that Yolen is
                      introducing it into the story. Furthermore, Yolen thinks that this person's
                      complaints about the name given to Merlin in the story is ridiculous.

                    • Matthew Winslow
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
                        WendellWag@... [WendellWag@...] wrote:
                        > what Jane Yolen is bothered about is not
                        <snip>
                        >Apparently what's bothering Yolen
                        <snip>
                        > Yolen thinks
                        <snip>
                        > Furthermore, Yolen thinks

                        Um, is it just me, or did anyone else not receive the email that Wendell is
                        referring to? All I got was what Joan forwarded that had a brief comment from
                        Ms. Yolen, and not much more. Something that brief certainly could not produce
                        such insight into Ms. Yolen's thinking process.

                        "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the
                        people."
                        --Oscar Wilde
                        Currently reading: Naimh and the Hermit by Emily C.A. Snyder
                      • Jack
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
                          >Um, is it just me, or did anyone else not receive the email that Wendell is
                          >referring to? All I got was what Joan forwarded that had a brief comment from
                          >Ms. Yolen, and not much more. Something that brief certainly could not produce
                          >such insight into Ms. Yolen's thinking process.

                          Here is is, courtest of JAne who tells me it's the first real hate mail
                          she's ever gotten.

                          ***

                          The Pub Message Board
                          [ Post a Response | The Pub Message Board ]

                          My First REAL hate mail

                          Posted by Jane Yolen on July 7, 2003, 2:09 am
                          User logged in as: pen

                          Thought you might be fascinated by this. And while I was tempted to
                          write:" Dear Ms. Sims, I thought you should know that some crazy person has
                          somehow gotten hold of your computer and has been sending out bizarre
                          mail..." I didn't.

                          Jane

                          Ms. Yolen,
                          I am currently about 30 pages into the piece of trash "book" that you
                          have called "Sword of the Rightful King." Ôø‡I do not know where to start
                          on my soon to be brutal criticism of this disgrace to literature.
                          Ôø‡Firstly, what were you thinking changing the story of King Arthur? Ôø‡
                          If you're going to change the story, then change the story, but make up
                          your mind and don't steal character names to make your failure seem more
                          impressive. Ôø‡Similarly, if you have decided to keep the same character
                          names, then KEEP THE SAME CHARACTER NAMES. Ôø‡ I don't know if there was
                          some ancient tale that told of Merlin's name being Merlinnus, but I really
                          couldn't care less. Ôø‡Anyone who would read this book (or be forced to
                          read this book in my case) would not know that Merlinnus was his real name.
                          Ôø‡ In the event that you were just in a goofy mood and thought you'd have
                          some fun with names, I think you are even more of a disgrace to young adult
                          authors than I had before. Ôø‡I do not really see a very clear
                          definition of what age group this filth should be applied to either.
                          Ôø‡You say that it is a book intended for young adults, and I guess that
                          you are probably pretty close, atleast you found a mean between the two
                          ridiculous extremes I'm about to describe to you. Ôø‡ The writing style,
                          type face, and crazilly large margins seem as if intended for young
                          children, and maybe you have no control over the publishing, but you do
                          have complete control (ignoring the influence of editors) Ôø‡over the sort
                          of language used in the novel. Ôø‡ As opposed to the childish writing style
                          employed in this trainwreck, I have already, by page 30, noticed several
                          things that would not be appropriate for children under 16 to be reading in
                          literature. Ôø‡I am referring obviously to your use of the word "damn"
                          constantly, and your placing innappropriate, unnecessary, and really quite
                          disgusting sexual themes where ever they can be put. Ôø‡ I am appalled to

                        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 10, 2003
                            So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

                            I can't wait to read it!
                            Anne

                            It's on my "To Read" list. ---djb

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 10, 2003
                              >So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

                              I think that it was reference to incest.