AS Byatt disses Harry

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003
      http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/07/opinion/07BYAT.html

      I disagree with a lot of this (not the last two paras though) but found it
      provocative.

      Here's one in which the Educational Establishment defends itself:

      http://www.scotlandonsunday.com/index.cfm?id=735522003

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003
        Stolzi@... wrote:

        > http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/07/opinion/07BYAT.html
        >
        > I disagree with a lot of this (not the last two paras though) but found it
        > provocative.

        Especially interesting, I think, is her reference to the childhood
        fantasy that one's ordinary family isn't one's REAL family, which is
        much more exciting, and that therefore the Dursley's ARE Harry's real
        family.

        > Here's one in which the Educational Establishment defends itself:
        >
        > http://www.scotlandonsunday.com/index.cfm?id=735522003

        Also interesting.

        Thanks for forwarding these.
        Joan
        Joan Marie Verba
        verba001@...
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003
          I'm still only halfway in book 5.

          Throughout the earlier HP books, I was mildly appalled at what a loose ship
          Dumbledore runs, allowing students to be put in needless danger, coddling
          incompetent teachers, and so on. Hagrid makes a wonderful friend, but he's
          a really bad teacher: no lesson plan, no safety considerations, doesn't
          even really know his own material, and so on. I kept wondering why more
          parents didn't withdraw their students from the school.

          So, nasty as Fudge and Umbridge are - and as appalling as they are in other
          ways - I think they have a point. The main reason my sympathies stay as
          strongly with Dumbledore as they do is because on the big issues, he's
          right and Fudge is not only wrong but wilfully blind. But how do we know -
          besides what the characters say - that this is so? Because, uh, Rowling
          tells us so.

          Far more than with a Sauron's-eye view of LOTR, HP needs a Ministry's-eye
          view rewrite. To be fair, Rowling gives them their say. If they were
          right, and the others wrong, about Voldemort, their punishments would be no
          less justified than Dumbledore's sloppiness.

          One stylistic note I find clashing in this book is the way the adults refer
          to each other by first names even when talking to the children, who are
          nevertheless expected to call most of them by last names. (This is more
          obvious in the Order than among the teachers.) I keep having to remind
          myself who this "Molly" is; I know her as Mrs. Weasley. Most of my
          friends' children know their parents' friends by first names; but when I
          was a child, and called my parents' friends by last names, they and my
          parents were all quite consistent in using those last names in talking to
          me, and used first names in my presence only when directly addressing each
          other. Only after I became an adult did I switch to first names. Both
          these systems are consistent; Rowling's strikes me as inconsistent and
          rather odd.

          - David Bratman
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003
            In a message dated 7/7/2003 12:49:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
            dbratman@... writes:

            > Far more than with a Sauron's-eye view of LOTR, HP needs a Ministry's-eye
            > view rewrite.

            If you feel this way, you definitely need to read the URL I gave from
            Scotland.