Re: [mythsoc] fantasy, change in genre

  • Ginger L. Hysell
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2003
      Jane,

      I have not read any books by Tony Hillerman. I'll have to take a peek next
      time I'm in the library. The most recent mystery I've read was "The
      Blueberry Muffin Murder" by Joanne Fluke. I liked the premise, recipes,
      and structure more than the actual story I think, but it was a fun read
      nonetheless. Only a few glaring editing problems to frustrate the eyes...
      :-)

      Ginger

      --On Wednesday, July 02, 2003, 8:31 PM -0600 Jane Bigelow
      <jbigelow@...> wrote:

      > Ginger,
      >
      > Yes, your suggestions are helpful, as are all the others! I know about
      > the ALA lists--I'm a librarian myself, in fact--but I I wanted to ask the
      > mythies. I knew I'd get good, individual replies and comments.
      >
      > You also wrote:
      > Also, don't forget other genres. When things are all looking a bit stale
      > to me, I whip out a frivolous western. For sheer action adventure where
      > the good guys always wear white hats I look to Louis L'Amour, or I try
      > some mystery with Agatha Christie.
      >

      > Oh, yes. I never could get into Westerns myself, but mysteries are some
      > of my favorite escape reading. Do you read Tony Hillerman? Since I've
      > been writing fantasy, I seldom quite relax when I'm reading it; my mind is
      > either editing or trying to figure out how the author did something. So
      > far, all my friend Rebecca's son has asked for is "more like that", but of
      > course that could change at any time.
      >
      > Jane

      _____________________________________
      Ginger L.Hysell
      Mill Creek Middle School
      Dexter MI
      7th grade English, Newspaper, and Drama
      Website: www.umich.edu/~glzabel

      "To be ignorant is not such a shame as to be unwilling to learn." - G. W.
      Hoss
    • jamcconney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2003
        In a message dated 7/3/2003 12:28:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
        glzabel@... writes:

        > I have not read any books by Tony Hillerman. I'll have to take a peek next
        > time I'm in the library.

        Please do--they are exceptionally good. The PBS Mystery series did an
        adaptation of one recently--and I hope they plan to continue. It was especially
        interesting in that, though they made some significant changes from the books,
        there were none that disturbed me (and one that delighted me). The casting was
        spot-on (at least IMNSHO) unlike the Hollywood-feature attempt a few years ago,
        about which the less said the better.

        Anne