fantasy, change in genre

  • Jane Bigelow
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2003
      Ginger,

      Yes, your suggestions are helpful, as are all the others! I know about the
      ALA lists--I'm a librarian myself, in fact--but I I wanted to ask the
      mythies. I knew I'd get good, individual replies and comments.

      You also wrote:
      Also, don't forget other genres. When things are all looking a bit stale
      to me, I whip out a frivolous western. For sheer action adventure where
      the good guys always wear white hats I look to Louis L'Amour, or I try some
      mystery with Agatha Christie.

      Oh, yes. I never could get into Westerns myself, but mysteries are some of
      my favorite escape reading. Do you read Tony Hillerman? Since I've been
      writing fantasy, I seldom quite relax when I'm reading it; my mind is
      either editing or trying to figure out how the author did something. So
      far, all my friend Rebecca's son has asked for is "more like that", but of
      course that could change at any time.

      Jane
    • Ginger L. Hysell
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2003
        Jane,

        I have not read any books by Tony Hillerman. I'll have to take a peek next
        time I'm in the library. The most recent mystery I've read was "The
        Blueberry Muffin Murder" by Joanne Fluke. I liked the premise, recipes,
        and structure more than the actual story I think, but it was a fun read
        nonetheless. Only a few glaring editing problems to frustrate the eyes...
        :-)

        Ginger

        --On Wednesday, July 02, 2003, 8:31 PM -0600 Jane Bigelow
        <jbigelow@...> wrote:

        > Ginger,
        >
        > Yes, your suggestions are helpful, as are all the others! I know about
        > the ALA lists--I'm a librarian myself, in fact--but I I wanted to ask the
        > mythies. I knew I'd get good, individual replies and comments.
        >
        > You also wrote:
        > Also, don't forget other genres. When things are all looking a bit stale
        > to me, I whip out a frivolous western. For sheer action adventure where
        > the good guys always wear white hats I look to Louis L'Amour, or I try
        > some mystery with Agatha Christie.
        >

        > Oh, yes. I never could get into Westerns myself, but mysteries are some
        > of my favorite escape reading. Do you read Tony Hillerman? Since I've
        > been writing fantasy, I seldom quite relax when I'm reading it; my mind is
        > either editing or trying to figure out how the author did something. So
        > far, all my friend Rebecca's son has asked for is "more like that", but of
        > course that could change at any time.
        >
        > Jane

        _____________________________________
        Ginger L.Hysell
        Mill Creek Middle School
        Dexter MI
        7th grade English, Newspaper, and Drama
        Website: www.umich.edu/~glzabel

        "To be ignorant is not such a shame as to be unwilling to learn." - G. W.
        Hoss
      • jamcconney@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2003
          In a message dated 7/3/2003 12:28:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
          glzabel@... writes:

          > I have not read any books by Tony Hillerman. I'll have to take a peek next
          > time I'm in the library.

          Please do--they are exceptionally good. The PBS Mystery series did an
          adaptation of one recently--and I hope they plan to continue. It was especially
          interesting in that, though they made some significant changes from the books,
          there were none that disturbed me (and one that delighted me). The casting was
          spot-on (at least IMNSHO) unlike the Hollywood-feature attempt a few years ago,
          about which the less said the better.

          Anne