Wizard genetics in Potterworld

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 5:05 PM
      Having just read the fifth Harry Potter book and finally seen the second
      movie, I was wondering about the muggle/wizard population ratio in
      Potterworld.

      Surely the wizard population is increasing more than the muggle population.
      We are told that squibs, children born in wizard families without wizard
      powers (like Mr. Filch, the caretaker at Hogwarts) are rare. We come across
      a second squib in the fifth book. (This isn't a spoiler because I'm not
      going to name the character and it isn't a big plot point.) However,
      children with wizard powers born in muggle families seem to be fairly
      common. We have Hermione and Lily, Harry's mother, and some of the other
      students at Hogwarts are named as such as well.

      So it seems that wizards generally breed true but muggles produce wizards in
      a not-infrequent basis. I wonder how many generations are left until
      muggles have to be a protected minority? The Ministry of Magic seems to be
      set up to cover that with Arthur Weasley's department. At some point, the
      wizard world would become the dominant one and they would all be out in the
      open.

      Berni
    • Max Rible
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1 9:25 PM
        On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 17:05, Berni Phillips wrote:
        > So it seems that wizards generally breed true but muggles produce wizards in
        > a not-infrequent basis. I wonder how many generations are left until
        > muggles have to be a protected minority? The Ministry of Magic seems to be
        > set up to cover that with Arthur Weasley's department. At some point, the
        > wizard world would become the dominant one and they would all be out in the
        > open.

        Shades of _The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump_! (A fun Harry Turtledove
        book.)

        Alternatively, being a wizard is sufficiently dangerous that the
        muggles are only providing a replacement population for all the
        wizards that blow themselves sky-high before they can get to a magical
        healer. The old wizard clans might not be dying out so much as just
        being swamped by the influx of muggle-born wizards that are turning
        up from the increasing muggle population, and most of the
        wizards are just too innumerate to bother with statistics.

        Oh, and for your amusement:

        Harry Potter and the Cauldron of Scams:
        http://www.scamorama.com/harrypotter-ayokure.html
        --
        %% Max Rible http://www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
        %% "The duty of the patriot is to protect his country from its %%