Re: Kipling and kids

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 12:57 PM
      In a message dated 7/1/2003 7:07:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
      lizziewriter@... writes:

      > Trying them on my 7-yo though is no good yet. I can read him HP or other
      > modern things, but Kipling's language is too much. My own fault, for not
      > bringing him up on more Milne and Potter....

      You might try _Just So Stories_ as a starter--there's some wonderful
      playfulness with words. Since the Jungle Books include considerably more than the
      Mowgli stories (including one of my all-time favorite stories, "The Miracle of
      Purun Bhagat") some may be a little beyond a seven-year-old. Personally I like
      _Puck of Pook's Hill_ and _Rewards and Fairies_ even better than the _Jungle
      Books_ but some of these, despite being framed as children's stories, I really
      think won't be entirely understood before adulthood (at whatever age that may
      come).

      Anne

    • Pauline J. Alama
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3 2:48 PM
        And don't make the mistake I did at age 11 -- thinking that once
        you've finished the Jungle Books, you're ready for Kim!!! Some day, I
        really must go back and read it to see what it was actually about.
        :)
        Pauline