Re: [mythsoc] Re: fantasy for 10 year old?

  • Ginger L. Hysell
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 1, 2003
      I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned since I seem to be
      forever trying to catch up on the different conversations in this group,
      but the American Library Association (ALA) has some very good book lists
      put together by age group. I've been putting together a book list for my
      7th grade students this year, and it's a great jumping off point.
      I started voraciously reading any science fiction or fantasy I could
      get my hand on when I was around 10-12 years old. I read some things that
      were very good, and some that were very bad, but I enjoyed them all at the
      time.
      Some books and authors who I have missed in the emails if they've been
      mentioned include Susan Cooper and her series of books "The Dark is
      Rising." I may be off on the title a bit.
      The Dragonriders of Pern is quite a long set of individual books by
      Anne McCaffrey. "Dragonsong" is the most well-known.
      "Redwall" by Brian Jacques is a fun read. He's still writing books to
      add to the series I think... There is even a PBS cartoon based on the books
      that includes an interview with Brian Jacques after each episode.
      I've heard good things about the "Artemis Fowl" books. The author is
      escaping me right now. I have not read them, but many of my 7th graders
      have.
      "Enders Game" by Orson Scott Card is a great book that won the Hugo
      award.
      "The Belgariad" and "The Mallorean" by David Eddings are two series of
      books that I enjoyed around middle school age, though I'm sure they were in
      the adult section of the library.
      And yes, I did the unthinkable. I even read Terry Brooke's "The Sword
      of Shannarra" series. Noone was there to point out how he was ripping off
      Tolkein and LOTR, so in blissful 12 year old ignorace I enjoyed the books.

      Your 10 year old will just have to find what he likes. I'd suggest a
      nice long trip to the public library. All of these should be there. Also,
      don't forget other genres. When things are all looking a bit stale to me,
      I whip out a frivolous western. For sheer action adventure where the good
      guys always wear white hats I look to Louis L'Amour, or I try some mystery
      with Agatha Christie.
      I hope some of these are helpful.

      -Ginger

      "To be ignorant is not such a shame as to be unwilling to learn." - G. W.
      Hoss
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 2, 2003
        jamcconney@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 7/2/2003 10:21:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
        > margdean@... writes:
        >
        > > There's actually one more: =Spiderweb for Two,=
        >
        > And--oops--I missed that one. But I bet our local library has it. Never
        > too late, right?

        Right! And if your local library doesn't have it in their own
        collection, they can probably get it for you through interlibrary
        loan.

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>