Re: [mythsoc] language what? .... and world building

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1 4:57 AM
      Oh, I would *love* something like this! I've drawn maps for my world, but
      I'm no geographer or cartographer and have no notion if they make any
      sense. Not to mention that I need maps for specific purposes, like the
      ones you name above. ---djb >>

      Okay so if I have any luck I'm to report back, eh?

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Jane Bigelow
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2 7:36 PM
        Lizzie et al,

        Some suggestions & comments from my husband, Robert:

        If they want map drawing/GIS software, it exists. Idrisi is no longer a
        freebee but might be affordable for students ($250). ArcView is a
        reasonably good program but is is very expensive (~$2000).

        I have never used either of the following, but they are cheap:

        >"AGIS is a mapping and simple GIS shareware package. Plot your own
        >geographic data on the map of the world provided without the high cost and
        steep learning curve usually associated with this kind of software. Paste
        high quality map displays into other applications. Animation, web serving,
        distance measuring, searching, GPS and integration with other systems are
        also suppported."

        It is shareware and is $49.

        "Map Maker from Map Maker North America Ltd., Winnipeg, Manitoba,
        Canada,has a free version and a Pro version. A very simple application
        might use the free version but there are some very useful features left
        out. the Pro version has student rates,($80)

        >There are lots of others as well

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3 4:28 AM
          Thank you, Jane. I will look into these.

          << Some suggestions & comments from my husband, Robert:

          If they want map drawing/GIS software, it exists. Idrisi is no longer a
          freebee but might be affordable for students ($250). ArcView is a
          reasonably good program but is is very expensive (~$2000).

          etc. >>

          Lizzie Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia