Re: [mythsoc] My two bits on HPV

  • Kevin Bowring
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30 7:41 PM
      Berni Phillips wrote:

      > There was not much new except for Fred's and George's joke-shop inventions,
      > which weren't terribly amusing to the reader.

      I agree--I thought they were positively tedious, despite their usefulness against
      Umbridge.

      > No, he doesn't really grow. He's stuck in an adolescent state of hormones
      > and rebelliousness that isn't terribly attractive.

      This was part of the problem with the book: over the course of some 870 pages, a
      little growth would be good, even if as you rightly say this is a "transitional
      book".

      Also, I entirely agree with you about Ginny and Neville, although Ron and
      Hermione seemed a little flatter as characters.

      > I found the death of Sirius didn't really touch me that much. He, too, was
      > much less appealing in this book. We saw him as a teen, egging on James to
      > torment Snape. He tries to live vicariously through Harry, egging him on to
      > what he shouldn't. His death was nowhere near as touching as the torment
      > Mrs. Weasley went through with the boggart showing her all her loved ones
      > dead.

      This is exactly the kind of thing that was problematic to me. And because you
      don't feel strongly about the death of Sirius--a character I had really liked in
      the previous books--Harry's anger at Dumbledore seems forced and too peevish.
      Also, the confrontation between Harry and Dumbledore opened up enormous
      imaginative possibilities that, it seemed to me, never came to fruition. I hate
      it when I am imagining something better than what is in the book! I also found
      myself circling clunky phraseology. (Maybe I was just getting cranky from doing
      so much writing of my own.)

      > It was good to get a good reason why Harry has to return to Privet Drive
      > each summer and also that the Sorting Hat had wanted to put Hermione in
      > Ravenclaw, where she so clearly belongs.

      Again, couldn't agree more--but more could have been, should have been, done with
      it.

      Berni, I appreciated all your comments

      Kevin