Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1295

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2003
      In a message dated 6/30/2003 4:09:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
      sschaper@... writes:

      > But I think that the main factors lie elsewhere (by a huge margin). I
      > would say that people tend to need meaning, and the past 100 years in
      > academia has -tended- towards a message that there is no real meaning,
      > and has also tended to be very hostile towards traditional Christianity.

      As a fellow holder of an M.Div. I think you are right on! There is a great
      hunger for meaning, but often the only image of Christianity that seeps into
      present-day culture is that carried by the loudest voices, and is generally one
      of narrowness, harshness and judgmentalism.

      Nor is this perception entirely mistaken. Though we tend to equate such
      attitudes with the "Bible-thumping" churches, they exist to some degree in almost
      all denominations. I know of more than one seeker who has turned to Wicca,
      native spirituality, etc. because of his or her experience in a Christian church.
      I hope saying this does not offend our many good Christians on this list--I
      think, rather, that it should sadden us all.

      Anne