Re: fantasy for 10 year old?

  • Pauline J. Alama
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 30, 2003
      Over the course of the morning, I've remembered a whole lot more
      recommendations. Well, half-remembered -- mostly, I can come up with
      an author OR a title, not both. Anyway, I think 10 was some kind of
      golden age for reading, at least in my experience.

      The Phantom Tollbooth: I was in 2nd grade when I first read it, but
      I've reread it as an adult & I still think it's cool.

      Anything by Alexander Key. I can't remember the titles. They're
      probably out of print but may be in the library. He wrote a lot of
      soft science fiction/contemporary fantasy, often involving young
      people with psychic powers. I read a truckload of them when I was in
      6th grade.

      Two cool time travel novels: THE ROAD TO NOWHERE and PARSLEY SAGE,
      ROSEMARY AND TIME. They have girl protagonists, but if that doesn't
      put the boy off, they're not total girly-girl books, no romance, so
      they might pass the cootie test. ;-}

      Look in the 300's in the Dewey Decimal system in the library for
      collections of folktales. I can recall having a great time around
      that age with some spooky Irish folktales (the Twelve Horned Witches
      was a particular favorite, though I don't remember what collection I
      discovered it in) and some witty Jewish folktales about a town called
      Chelm. Earlier in childhood, I read a children's collection of Spider
      tales from West Africa. None of these represent my ethnic background:
      the stories are just plain good stories, whatever your background. If
      the kid hasn't yet discovered the non-Disneyfied version of Grimm's
      fairy tales, that might be worth a look, too. 10-year-olds love gross-
      out scenes, and there are enough severed body parts in Grimm to
      please that humor. A good retelling of Robin Hood tales would fit the
      age group, too. Maybe Pyle's.

      If your 10-year-old has already read THE LORD OF THE RINGS, he
      shouldn't be daunted by the length of the Harry Potter books, either.
      They are MUCH more self-contained than the individual volumes of
      LOTR, so he needn't think of it as a 7-volume commitment. He can
      enjoy the first one, two, or three now and save the rest for
      adolescence. Volumes 4 and 5 seem geared to an older readership,
      anyway -- I don't think a preteen will appreciate everything they
      have to offer.

      Is THE WONDERFUL FLIGHT TO THE MUSHROOM PLANET still in print?
      Outdated scientifically, but who cares? It was a fun story. Some
      Jules Verne might be in order, too.

      Faulkner, of all people, wrote a fantasy story that blew my mind when
      I was a kid. Something about a quest for a tree with magic leaves. It
      has some awful stereotypes in it, though, so a parental preview might
      be in order. Unfortunately, I can't remember a title.

      I'm sure I'll think of more, but I REALLY ought to get back to work.
      Pauline J. Alama

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, jamcconney@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 6/30/2003 8:06:05 AM Central Daylight Time,
      > PJAlama@e... writes:
      >
      > > I do believe this is the first time I've heard from someone
      besides
      > > myself who's read Elizabeth Enright!
      >
      > I grew up reading the Elizabeth Enright books and they were
      wonderful! If
      > we're going to mention non-fantasy, the single most influential
      book of my
      > childhood was Esther Forbes' _Johnny Tremain_. I recently saw a
      paperback of it on a
      > sale table and couldn't resist getting it to reread. To my joy, I
      found it's
      > _still_ a wonderful book!
      >
      > Anne

    • Margaret Dean
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 2, 2003
        jamcconney@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 7/2/2003 10:21:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
        > margdean@... writes:
        >
        > > There's actually one more: =Spiderweb for Two,=
        >
        > And--oops--I missed that one. But I bet our local library has it. Never
        > too late, right?

        Right! And if your local library doesn't have it in their own
        collection, they can probably get it for you through interlibrary
        loan.

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>