Re: [mythsoc] language what? .... and world building

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 29, 2003
      Ah, yes--I have one like that myself. But making up a world and populating
      it
      is a LOT of fun. >>

      Sure is. But I've mostly put this down for, oh, ten years, and picking up
      on my notes and keeping characters straight all over again is quite the
      task. Not to mention re-evaluating a staggering number of things.

      Meanwhile, maybe this is the place to ask, rather than the gaming lists...
      does anyone know of software that can help with this? Like help draw maps
      and figure population of various critter type things etc.? I've never been
      a software hobbyist and am surprised to hear that there doesn't really seem
      to be anything out to do what I'd like. Just as it is handy to have a word
      processor so you don't have to retype the whole thing when you make a
      change, would be cool to have something to help draw maps and figure where
      "here be monsters" and which ones go where.... and where you'd need how
      many of what kind of prey animals..... and oh yeah, I guess some people...

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2003
[...]

        Oh, I would *love* something like this! I've drawn maps for my world, but
        I'm no geographer or cartographer and have no notion if they make any
        sense. Not to mention that I need maps for specific purposes, like the
        ones you name above. ---djb

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1 4:57 AM
          Oh, I would *love* something like this! I've drawn maps for my world, but
          I'm no geographer or cartographer and have no notion if they make any
          sense. Not to mention that I need maps for specific purposes, like the
          ones you name above. ---djb >>

          Okay so if I have any luck I'm to report back, eh?

          Lizzie Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • Jane Bigelow
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2 7:36 PM
            Lizzie et al,

            Some suggestions & comments from my husband, Robert:

            If they want map drawing/GIS software, it exists. Idrisi is no longer a
            freebee but might be affordable for students ($250). ArcView is a
            reasonably good program but is is very expensive (~$2000).

            I have never used either of the following, but they are cheap:

            >"AGIS is a mapping and simple GIS shareware package. Plot your own
            >geographic data on the map of the world provided without the high cost and
            steep learning curve usually associated with this kind of software. Paste
            high quality map displays into other applications. Animation, web serving,
            distance measuring, searching, GPS and integration with other systems are
            also suppported."

            It is shareware and is $49.

            "Map Maker from Map Maker North America Ltd., Winnipeg, Manitoba,
            Canada,has a free version and a Pro version. A very simple application
            might use the free version but there are some very useful features left
            out. the Pro version has student rates,($80)

            >There are lots of others as well

          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3 4:28 AM
              Thank you, Jane. I will look into these.

              << Some suggestions & comments from my husband, Robert:

              If they want map drawing/GIS software, it exists. Idrisi is no longer a
              freebee but might be affordable for students ($250). ArcView is a
              reasonably good program but is is very expensive (~$2000).

              etc. >>

              Lizzie Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia