Re: [mythsoc] language what? .

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2003
      Anne said: << FYI my Welsh dictionary gives "gwaedwr" as "bleeder,
      killer"...interesting. >>

      so does mine, along with "eg. ll. -wyr. un sy'n gwaedu; *lladdwr.

      What does that mean...?

      and then for vampire it gives

      n. 1. sugnwr gwaed, (ellyll chwedlonol).

      2. ystlum (sy'n sugno gwaed)

      Course I haven't a clue what all the extra words are lol.

      What dictionary do you have? I have _Y Geiriadur Mawr_, Eighth Edition
      March 1978. Wow, that's pretty old now isn't it? :-)
      I like the little extra features, like bird and animal names and such.

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • jamcconney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2003
        In a message dated 6/29/2003 7:26:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
        lizziewriter@... writes:

        > What dictionary do you have? I have _Y Geiriadur Mawr_, Eighth Edition

        Mine just says Welsh-English/ English-Welsh Dictionary and is about 10 years
        older (1969). Yours may be more complete, as it's the BIG Dictionary! Mine,
        however, also has those fascinating lists of birds , animals, fish, etc.

        I really ought to see about getting a newer edition....

        Anne

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2003
          I really ought to see about getting a newer edition.... >>

          Well, yeah, but they're hard enough to find. I think I got mine from a
          used book dot.com in England, I hope I still have the link somewhere.
          Where did you get yours?

          I also tracked down a "cute" old little "facsimile" edition of the Black
          Book of Carmarthen at one point. Doesn't do me much good, as it's
          facsimile on some pages and Welsh on others. Oops, I guess I needed one
          that was facing pages Welsh and English. That was back when I was reading
          more about Taliesin et alia, obviously. But this Black Book is too unusual
          to part with now anyway.

          Lizzie Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • jamcconney@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30, 2003
            In a message dated 6/30/2003 7:05:37 AM Central Daylight Time,
            lizziewriter@... writes:

            > But this Black Book is too unusual
            > to part with now anyway.

            Hang onto it, it's hard to get any of this stuff. I remember when I was doing
            my MA thesis in Welsh poetry and the library in Lincoln (NE) had the Skene
            edition. I understand it's now been reprinted, but then it was very hard to
            find. I got it on interlibrary loan and they had a rule that you couldn't renew.
            You had to send it back and then ask for it again.
            The cover had a small rip in the back and some on-his-toes librarian noticed
            and sent it to be rebound. I couldn't get it again for about 3 or 4 months (or
            at least it seemed so then).

            Anne

          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30, 2003
              Anne said: << FYI my Welsh dictionary gives "gwaedwr" as "bleeder,
              killer"...interesting. >>

              so does mine, along with "eg. ll. -wyr. un sy'n gwaedu; *lladdwr.

              What does that mean...?

              and then for vampire it gives

              n. 1. sugnwr gwaed, (ellyll chwedlonol).

              2. ystlum (sy'n sugno gwaed)

              Course I haven't a clue what all the extra words are lol.

              << What dictionary do you have? I have _Y Geiriadur Mawr_, Eighth Edition
              March 1978. Wow, that's pretty old now isn't it? :-)>>

              My copright date is 1987 on my *Y Geiriadur Mawr.* It doesn't say what
              edition.

              <<I like the little extra features, like bird and animal names and such.>>

              A great feature. ---djb

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • alexeik@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 30, 2003
                In a message dated 6/30/3 12:26:23 AM, Lizzie wrote:

                <<n. 1. sugnwr gwaed, (ellyll chwedlonol).>>

                n.1. a sucker of blood (a mythological supernatural being)

                <<2. ystlum (sy'n sugno gwaed)

                2. a bat (which sucks blood)

                Alexei