Re: Foresight vs. divination (was Re: copyright)

  • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 22, 1999
      In a message dated 12/22/1999 9:55:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      Aelfwine@... writes:

      << For what it's worth, I'll interject that Tolkien did write a bit
      about what he calls "foresight" in Middle-earth, in a long note to
      the essay titled "_�sanwe-kenta_: Enquiry into the Communication of
      Thought" (published in _Vinyar Tengwar_ 39). >>
      This is an interesting note... and leaves room in the discussion for what
      about thoughts from the dark side, so to speak.

      Also, I know I am years rusty on my Tolkien... I have read more than just
      Hobbit and LOTR, lots more, but obviously there is a waaaay lot more that I
      don't even know about. I didn't even start on the _Unfinished Stories_ or
      whatever that series was, or maybe I have one...It seemed so piecemeal.

      The histories of Middle Earth, they seemed more real almost than our own
      histories. Could well be their studied grounding in real language and
      history, do you think?

      And, my initial question, WHAT is Vinyar Tengwar?

      Lizzie