Foresight vs. divination (was Re: copyright)

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 22, 1999
      For what it's worth, I'll interject that Tolkien did write a bit
      about what he calls "foresight" in Middle-earth, in a long note to
      the essay titled "_�sanwe-kenta_: Enquiry into the Communication of
      Thought" (published in _Vinyar Tengwar_ 39). In this note, he writes:

      "No mind, [Pengolodh] asserts, knows what is not in it. All
      that it has experienced is in it.... But no part of the
      'future' is there, for the mind cannot see it or have
      seen it: that is, a mind placed in time. Such a mind can
      learn of the future only from another mind which has seen
      it. But that means only from Eru ultimately, or mediately
      from some mind that has seen in Eru some part of His
      purpose (such as the Ainur who are now the Valar in E�).
      An Incarnate can thus only know anything of the future,
      by instruction derived from the Valar, or by a revelation
      coming direct from Eru." (_VT_ 39, p. 31)

      Carl

      | Carl F. Hostetter Aelfwine@... http://www.erols.com/aelfwine |
      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |
    • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 22, 1999
        In a message dated 12/22/1999 9:55:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        Aelfwine@... writes:

        << For what it's worth, I'll interject that Tolkien did write a bit
        about what he calls "foresight" in Middle-earth, in a long note to
        the essay titled "_�sanwe-kenta_: Enquiry into the Communication of
        Thought" (published in _Vinyar Tengwar_ 39). >>
        This is an interesting note... and leaves room in the discussion for what
        about thoughts from the dark side, so to speak.

        Also, I know I am years rusty on my Tolkien... I have read more than just
        Hobbit and LOTR, lots more, but obviously there is a waaaay lot more that I
        don't even know about. I didn't even start on the _Unfinished Stories_ or
        whatever that series was, or maybe I have one...It seemed so piecemeal.

        The histories of Middle Earth, they seemed more real almost than our own
        histories. Could well be their studied grounding in real language and
        history, do you think?

        And, my initial question, WHAT is Vinyar Tengwar?

        Lizzie