Re: [mythsoc] language what? .... and House of the Scorpion

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27, 2003
      One of the examples I like to use is the Welsh word 'hiraeth' which a
      native
      speaker (I forget the name) defined as "a cry of outrage against the
      tyranny
      of fact." In English it's usually translated "regret." So yes, you can get
      that
      meaning in English--but look how many more words it took. >>

      Well yes... and I think my dictionary or other reference had defined
      "hiraeth" as "longing", because I had named a dragon that a few years ago.
      And "longing" is a whole 'nother poem from "cry of outrage" wouldn't you
      say?

      << The Hebrew word "ruach" means "spirit" and is often taken to mean the
      spirit of God or, in Christian terms, the Holy Spirit. It is feminine. >>

      I can't remember what the root words were that had been used in the
      discussion -- and I used to hear it often. Sorry. But yes, exactly. What
      about "chesed"? That is another word I hear at retreats and whatnot.
      Another word incomplete in any translation I suspect.

      On another note.... shopping tonight I saw that book, _House of the
      Scorpion_ I believe it was called, variously honored, and reviewed in a
      recent Mythprint. I browsed it a bit and found it engaging and lucid. I
      really wanted to buy it, it was a good price at BJ's club, but the patient
      hubby has been rather overwhelmed with books both new and library lately,
      so I didn't even ask. I think, as a science fiction book, it is a good
      counterpoint to Harry Potter, treating with subjects currently in real life
      discussions (cloning) and written in a style that looked well suited to
      readers both young and grownup.

      I will get a copy later. ;-)

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 27, 2003
        In a message dated 6/27/2003 10:07:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        lizziewriter@... writes:

        > What about "chesed"?

        What does that word mean?

      • jamcconney@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 27, 2003
          In a message dated 6/27/2003 9:07:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
          lizziewriter@... writes:

          > my dictionary or other reference had defined
          > "hiraeth" as "longing",

          So does mine. Also "nostalgia" and "grief" take your pick. I still hold (from
          the time I was doing a thesis on early Welsh) that "regret" is a common
          translation.

          Your dragon is interesting--I had a friend who named her horse Hiraeth. I
          think she had the same dictionary.

          Anne

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 28, 2003
            In a message dated 6/27/2003 9:24:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
            WendellWag@... writes:

            > > What about "chesed"?
            >
            > What does that word mean?

            One website says "Love, lovingkindness, compassion, goodness, grace."

            Check this out, you Charles Williams fans:
            http://www.ucalgary.ca/~elsegal/Sefirot/Sefirot.html

            I found it very interesting that the site author identifies love and
            tenderness with God's Masculine side and justice and strength with his Feminine side.

            And for you CS Lewis fans, there was also a site by a weblogger who calls
            himself
            "Emeth Hesed Smith"!

            Actually a rather interesting-looking site:
            http://www.eh43.com/blog/

            Diamond Proudbrook

          • SusanPal@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 29, 2003
              In a message dated 6/29/2003 11:38:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
              lizziewriter@... writes:

              > Like
              > "gwaedwr" which I believe I picked up as some sort of vampire reference in
              > a book that I have forgotten any useful details about except I think the
              > author was named Ford.

              John M. Ford, THE DRAGON WAITING? Excellent book. Won the World Fantasy
              Award. Can't remember if it includes that word, but it definitely contains
              vampires.

              Susan

            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 29, 2003
                Your dragon is interesting--I had a friend who named her horse Hiraeth. I
                think she had the same dictionary. >>

                Thanks. This ms is long and going nowhere at this point, but it's been fun
                to populate.

                I half wonder if we didn't both get the word from a story somewhere. Like

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 29, 2003
                  John M. Ford, THE DRAGON WAITING? Excellent book. Won the World Fantasy
                  Award. Can't remember if it includes that word, but it definitely contains
                  vampires. >>

                  Yes! That was it! Very good read, yes. I've only read it once, so you
                  know I will have to read it again someday... I think that's where I got
                  it.... Maybe not?

                  Lizzie Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia
                • jamcconney@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 29, 2003
                    In a message dated 6/29/2003 1:38:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    lizziewriter@... writes:

                    > This ms is long and going nowhere at this point, but it's been fun
                    > to populate.

                    Ah, yes--I have one like that myself. But making up a world and populating it
                    is a LOT of fun.

                    Anne

                  • jamcconney@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 29, 2003
                      In a message dated 6/29/2003 1:44:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
                      SusanPal@... writes:

                      > Like
                      > >"gwaedwr" which I believe I picked up as some sort of vampire reference in
                      > >a book

                      FYI my Welsh dictionary gives "gwaedwr" as "bleeder, killer"...interesting.

                      Anne