Charles Williams & the Golden Dawn

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 2003
      Bernadette Bosky has presented a couple of papers at Mythcon on Williams, inclduding a
      comprehensive run-down of his association with the Golden Dawn movement. If I recall, he was
      never actually a member of the Golden Dawn, but of the Order of the Rosy Cross, which was a
      splinter group of a splinter group of the GD. Or something like that. Bernadette covered a
      blackboard with a family tree of the Golden Dawn Groups, which put Chuck on an opposite
      branch completely from Aleister Crowley ( as you might imagine). I think the paper appeared
      in _Mythlore_--otherwise, I'm sure you could easily contact Bernadette. She's never been
      active on this list, at least in my memory, but she was on IAFL, I think, and her husband is
      still active there. I'm not going to publish her eddress here, but I could forward an
      inquiry to her (if the eddress hasn't changed since I last contacted her, which was a couple
      of years ago).

      I think I recall some extensive discussion of Williams' association with the Rosy Cross on
      Co-inherence, the Williams e-dicussion list, many years ago when I was a subscriber. The back
      files are perhaps still available, and there is likely more recent discussion of the topie as
      well??
      --

      David Lenander,

    • Joshua Kronengold
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 2003
        David Lenander writes:
        >still active there. I'm not going to publish her eddress here, but I could forward an
        >inquiry to her (if the eddress hasn't changed since I last contacted her, which was a couple
        >of years ago).

        Her email hasn't changed.

        --
        Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "I've been teaching |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
        --^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22, 2003
          That sounds roughly accurate. CW was in Waite's group- the FRC -
          which was opposed to the other branch, the more infamous one.

          Yes, indeed there has been discussion of this point on coinherence -

          Cheers.

          DDD

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Lenander <d-lena@u...> wrote:
          > Bernadette Bosky has presented a couple of papers at Mythcon on
          Williams, inclduding a
          > comprehensive run-down of his association with the Golden Dawn
          movement. If I recall, he was
          > never actually a member of the Golden Dawn, but of the Order of the
          Rosy Cross, which was a
          > splinter group of a splinter group of the GD. Or something like
          that. Bernadette covered a
          > blackboard with a family tree of the Golden Dawn Groups, which put
          Chuck on an opposite
          > branch completely from Aleister Crowley ( as you might imagine).
        • herenistarion
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 22, 2003
            I am very interested in this topic, and thanks for the link, if
            anyone has any thoughts on if/how CW's views may or may not have
            influenced Tolkien please share them. I have read that Tolkien was
            diametrically opposed in view to CW, but am looking to see if CW's
            views may or may not have influenced Tolkien's writings
            Anthony