Re: [mythsoc] Harry Potter (Digest Number 1287)

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2003
      From: "Catherine Boyle" <ccampboyle@...>

      > Your
      > post caught my attention, since I am Catholic and an avid reader of the
      > Harry Potter books. Personally, I find them to be perfectly compatible
      with
      > Catholic moral theology. In fact, the primary theme of the books is free
      > will and personal responsibility -- we become who we choose to be. Magic,
      > per se, in the books, is a talent you are born with, and that students
      learn
      > to use. In that sense it fits the concept of a charism, a gift from God,
      > that we have a responsibility to learn to use in furtherance of God's
      will.
      > Not using or developing a charism would be akin to the servant in the New
      > Testament who buried the talents he had been given by his master.

      That is an excellent point!

      Berni
    • Pauline J. Alama
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 21, 2003
        I'm belatedly catching up with some of the last month's the messages,
        having stayed off until I had time to finish the latest Harry Potter.
        (My husband & I read it aloud to each other, nearly a month of shared
        reading pleasure, including a morning's false-alarm visit to an
        emergency room where I sat with a fetal monitor on my 7-months-
        pregnant belly while my husband read to me. Yes, I liked the book.
        Quite a bit.)

        I like the posting below about Harry Potter being compatible with
        Catholicism. Being Catholic myself, I also found the Harry Potter
        books compatible with Christianity as I know it. In Tolkien's terms,
        I see it as not "allegorical" but "applicable" to my religion.

        The most recent HP book...
        WARNING!
        SOME SPOILERS!
        DO NOT READ ON IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED "PHOENIX"!
        OK, DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU!

        ...ends with an affirmation of what I would consider to be the
        central ethos of Christianity: love is stronger than death. And love
        includes a suffering, sacrificial love. Dumbledore tells Voldemort
        that his weakness is his inability to imagine anything worse than
        death. When Voldemort takes over Harry's body, Harry recognizes a
        fate worse than death -- to be used for evil purposes against those
        he loves -- and inwardly begs for death, both to be released from the
        power of evil and to rejoin Sirius, whom he had come to love. As his
        heart fills with emotion, we are told, Voldemort leaves him. He is
        saved by love. Not by moral purity -- he isn't a Galahad, he has his
        faults -- but by a love so strong it embraces suffering and death for
        the sake of those loved.

        The reality of any God or gods, and the truth of one creed or
        another, aren't within the scope of this story, but its ethics, to my
        mind, are compatible with the very heart of Christianity.

        Pauline