S. Hawking

  • Julia Palffy
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 21, 1999
      Stephen Hawking has written a book of apologetics? I thought he was a physicist!!!

      Julia Palffy
      Zug, Switzerland
      jupalffy@...

      __________
      I__I__I__I__I
      I__I__I__I__I
      I__I__I__I__I
      I__I__I__I__I There are more possibilities than you imagine.
    • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 22, 1999
        In a message dated 12/22/1999 3:07:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        jupalffy@... writes:

        << Stephen Hawking has written a book of apologetics? I thought he was a
        physicist!!! >>
        Well, see, I haven't read it yet. I know some of these popular (I.e.,
        readable) science books touch on whether or not the scientist in question
        believes in God. I should have been more clear...

        Lizzie
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 22, 1999
          On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, you wrote:
          > From: Julia Palffy <jupalffy@...>
          >
          > Stephen Hawking has written a book of apologetics? I thought he was a physicist!!!

          He is a physicist, and has not written a book of Christian apologetics. Some
          say his _Brief History of Time- is an apologetic for athieism. His hypotheses
          in it are very controversial.

          I've got the California Flu and cannot tyupe.
        • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 22, 1999
            In a message dated 12/22/1999 10:41:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            sschaper@... writes:

            << Some
            say his _Brief History of Time- is an apologetic for athieism. His hypotheses
            in it are very controversial. >>
            Oh great. Maybe that means I shouldn't read it, susceptible impressionable
            person that I am...

            Lizzie
          • Stephen123@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 22, 1999
              ><< Some
              > say his _Brief History of Time- is an apologetic for athieism. His
              hypotheses
              > in it are very controversial. >>
              >Oh great. Maybe that means I shouldn't read it, susceptible impressionable
              >person that I am...

              I read _A Brief History of Time_. I found it to be of medium quality as a
              popular phisics book. It has some very controversial hypothosis which
              Hawking later decided against himself. I don't remember anything about
              atheism in that book. If you want to read a book of that type, I'd recomend
              _Relativatiy: A Simple Explanation_ by Albert Einstien, or _What Do You Care
              What Other People Think_ by Richard Feynman rather than _A Brief History of
              Time_. Neither of those is about the origin of the universe or the history
              of time. But both are popular physics books of the first order.

              - Stephen
            • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 22, 1999
                Well the Feynman book sounds interesting... is it current... how popular?
                Library? Amazon.com? Haven't read much pop sci since Asimov books in the HS
                library and Omni mag... long time, gggg

                Lizzie
              • Stephen123@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 23, 1999
                  Hi Lizzie -

                  _What Do You Care What Other People Think_ is from 1988. It was fairly
                  popular and should be in libraries. A large section is devoted to the
                  investigation of the Challenger shuttle disaster.

                  - Stephen
                • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 25, 1999
                    _A Brief History of Time_ is a good but not great popular physics book. It
                    is not an apologetic for atheism, although perhaps it's possible to read
                    between the lines and see Hawking's atheism. There are better books if you
                    want an introduction to physics.

                    Wendell Wagner
                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 26, 1999
                      On Sat, 25 Dec 1999, you wrote:
                      > From: WendellWag@...
                      >
                      > _A Brief History of Time_ is a good but not great popular physics book. It
                      > is not an apologetic for atheism, although perhaps it's possible to read
                      > between the lines and see Hawking's atheism. There are better books if you
                      > want an introduction to physics.
                      >
                      > Wendell Wagner

                      Specifically, his controversial theory of reversing time was invented to do
                      away with a need for a beginning, or a First Cause.