HP - some choice Commentary

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 23, 2003
      The Last Days Of A Bewitched Nation!
      http://www.lasttrumpetministries.org/2003/March2003a.html

      The United States of America is currently under a double spell and a double
      curse. The people of the United States have a voracious appetite for the
      occult, and their souls are feeding on the books and movies that are
      training courses on the occult in both philosophy and actual workings of the
      craft. The Harry Potter materials, as well as the Lord of the Rings movies
      and books, have captivated the people of America. The fifth Harry Potter
      book is set to be released on June 21, 2003, which is the witches' sabat of
      Midsummer. (27) As a former witch, I can tell you that these books are pure
      evil and will lure the minds of the children of all ages into the dark and
      shadowy realm of the occult, which is forbidden by the Almighty God,
      particularly in Deuteronomy 18:10-11. Everything forbidden that is found in
      those verses are glorified in the Harry Potter materials. Recently, the
      Vatican officially endorsed and gave two thumbs up to the Harry Potter
      material. (28) The Vatican official, "Father" Peter Fleetwood, said, "I
      don't think that any of us grew up without the imaginary world of fairies,
      magicians, angels, and witches. J.K. Rowling is Christian by conviction, is
      Christian in her mode of living, even in her way of writing." (28) What
      heinous treason against the cross of Jesus Christ!

      I must also mention that a book has recently been written by a man named
      John Granger entitled The Hidden Key To Harry Potter, in which he translates
      the Latin spells used in the books (29) so anyone can use them. The fifth
      Harry Potter book is entitled, Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix,
      which plays directly into the scheme of the New World Order and the New Age
      of Aquarius. God help us and especially our children!

      The Lord of the Rings movies are equally evil, and The Fellowship Of The
      Ring has been taking top honors in the "people's choice awards." (30) The
      witches thrive on the books and movies of J.R.R. Tolkien. The elves and
      magic contain doctrines common to Wicca and druidism, and when people go to
      see these movies, they are actually going to church, a church of Lucifer or
      Satan. It should be so obvious to anyone who knows anything about true
      Christianity and the Bible that the Lord of the Rings materials are
      witchcraft of the first magnitude and bring forth many curses into the lives
      of people and their nation. The author J.R.R. Tolkien even invented two
      languages like nothing on earth and used them in his books. Everything
      centers on a magical ring from which power is drawn and which makes the
      wearer invisible. Here let it be noted that George W. Bush, the President of
      the United States, constantly wears a ring on his left ring finger, which
      when enlarged proves to be the very same magical ring from the Lord of the
      Rings. (31) What is it doing on our President's hand? The ring has strange
      swirls and markings common to witchcraft, and the swirls form a series of
      abstract 6's. Does the President think he is invisible? Is he drawing power
      from this ring? May God help us to understand this time that we are living
      in, and may we yield to his will and pray without ceasing. Time is almost
      gone!

      Note from Diamond Proudbrook: If GeorgeW, an extremely married man, is
      wearing any ring on his "left ring finger," I feel pretty sure it is his wedding
      ring!

      Wonder if this brilliant soul saw the joke-posting of an altered photo awhile
      ago with The One Ring on GWB's hand, and took it seriously?

      One ringy-dingy,
      DP

    • Croft, Janet B
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
        I guess reformed witches are as bad as reformed smokers... This is just
        plain nasty. "Father" in quotes indeed!

        But the way she takes the doctored photo of Bush's ring seriously reminds me
        of a similar diatribe by someone who took the Onion parody on HP fandom
        seriously. It's so over the top that I wonder if this is a parody in its own
        right! Who was it on Saturday Night Live -- Emily Litella? -- who would get
        all worked up about something she misheard, then say "Never mind"?

        Janet

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
        27:HM/A=1595056/R=0/SIG=124fv1soh/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogy
        o?YH=3313099&yhad=1595056> Click Here!

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1595056/rand=447642010>

        <http://www.mythsoc.org>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
          <<... I must also mention that a book has recently been written by a man
          named
          John Granger entitled The Hidden Key To Harry Potter, in which he translates
          the Latin spells used in the books (29) so anyone can use them. >>

          Silly person. Everyone knows that spells don't work if you speak them in
          an intelligible language.

          Lizzie Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • Margaret Dean
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
            Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

            > <<... I must also mention that a book has recently been written by a man
            > named John Granger entitled The Hidden Key To Harry Potter, in which he
            > translates the Latin spells used in the books (29) so anyone can use
            > them. >>
            >
            > Silly person. Everyone knows that spells don't work if you speak them in
            > an intelligible language.

            Indeed! I remember Poul Anderson making some play with this
            concept in the "Operation: Chaos" series. At one point his hero,
            needing to construct a quickie spell and not being much of a
            linguist otherwise, resorts to Pig Latin!

            --Margaret Dean
            <margdean@...>
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
              Indeed! I remember Poul Anderson making some play with this
              concept in the "Operation: Chaos" series. At one point his hero,
              needing to construct a quickie spell and not being much of a
              linguist otherwise, resorts to Pig Latin! >>

              Now there is a useful tongue. Especially around children who can s-p-e-l-l.

              And when one is constructing magic around the very young, one can always
              spell the words out.

              Lizzie Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • Margaret Dean
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
                Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                > Indeed! I remember Poul Anderson making some play with this
                > concept in the "Operation: Chaos" series. At one point his hero,
                > needing to construct a quickie spell and not being much of a
                > linguist otherwise, resorts to Pig Latin! >>
                >
                > Now there is a useful tongue. Especially around children who can s-p-e-l-l.
                >
                > And when one is constructing magic around the very young, one can always
                > spell the words out.

                IIRC it wasn't so much that the language needed to be
                unintelligible to other people, but that it had to be in some
                degree unfamiliar to the spellcaster -- not his/her native
                tongue, in other words.

                --Margaret Dean
                <margdean@...>
              • David S. Bratman
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
                  I don't remember if the HP books follow this particular rule, but there's a
                  long tradition followed by many fantasy novels that spells have to be in
                  Latin specifically, not just any old unfamiliar tongue. Latin is a tongue
                  of Power, particularly in the minds of authors who had to study it in
                  school. Aren't Merlin's spells in T.H. White's "Once & Future King" all in
                  Latin?

                  Poul Anderson's joke in "Operation Chaos" plays off this by making Latin so
                  powerful that any form of it will do in a pinch - even Pig Latin which
                  isn't actually a form of Latin at all, of course; but the name is enough.

                  David Bratman

                • jamcconney@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
                    In a message dated 6/24/2003 4:46:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    dbratman@... writes:

                    > spells have to be in
                    > Latin specifically, not just any old unfamiliar tongue. Latin is a tongue
                    > of Power

                    I should think it ought to be Welsh, and if you can't pronounce the double L
                    the spells won't work.

                    Anne

                  • Stolzi@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
                      In a message dated 6/24/2003 4:47:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
                      dbratman@... writes:

                      > even Pig Latin which
                      > isn't actually a form of Latin at all, of course; but the name is enough.

                      On another list, disastrous wedding ceremonies are being discussed, and a
                      Listmember said she had attended a wedding at which the minister chanted in Pig
                      Latin.

                      She has not revealed which artspay of the eremonysay.

                      Diamond Proudbrook

                    • David S. Bratman
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
                        I once attended a wedding ceremony at which the minister failed to show up.

                        This was not a bad omen: Berni and I quite recently attended the 25th
                        anniversary celebration of this same couple.

                        - DB

                        At 05:41 PM 6/24/2003 , Stolzi wrote:

                        >On another list, disastrous wedding ceremonies are being discussed, and a
                        >Listmember said she had attended a wedding at which the minister chanted in
                        >Pig Latin.
                      • Berni Phillips
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
                          From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

                          > I don't remember if the HP books follow this particular rule, but there's
                          > long tradition followed by many fantasy novels that spells have to be in
                          > Latin specifically, not just any old unfamiliar tongue. Latin is a tongue
                          > of Power, particularly in the minds of authors who had to study it in
                          > school.

                          I suspect it's more that Latin was the tongue of the educated person, so
                          only the most knowledgable, wizardly sort would be able to write or recite
                          spells in it.

                          Berni
                        • Stolzi@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
                            In a message dated 6/24/2003 8:34:31 PM Central Daylight Time,
                            dbratman@... writes:

                            > I once attended a wedding ceremony at which the minister failed to show up.
                            >
                            > This was not a bad omen: Berni and I quite recently attended the 25th
                            > anniversary celebration of this same couple.

                            Did they just do it themselves? Call in another preacher? Postpone the
                            wedding?

                            Inquiring minds want to know.

                            DP

                          • Jane Bigelow
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                              At 09:25 AM 6/24/03 -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
                              > <<... I must also mention that a book has recently been written by a man
                              > named
                              > John Granger entitled The Hidden Key To Harry Potter, in which he translates
                              >>>

                              > Everyone knows that spells don't work if you speak them in
                              > an intelligible language.
                              >
                              > Lizzie Triano
                              > lizziewriter@...
                              > amor vincit omnia

                              But Lizzie, to some people Latin still _is_ an intelligible language! Not
                              to me, so I don't know if the spells in HP are just Latin-like sounds.

                              Jane

                            • alexeik@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                                In a message dated 6/25/3 1:10:34 PM, Jane wrote:

                                <<But Lizzie, to some people Latin still _is_ an intelligible language! Not
                                to me, so I don't know if the spells in HP are just Latin-like sounds.

                                That's exactly what most of them are. :-)
                                Alexei
                              • The Yeti !
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 2 12:42 PM
                                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Stolzi@a... wrote:
                                  > In a message dated 6/24/2003 4:47:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                  > dbratman@s... writes:
                                  >
                                  > > even Pig Latin which
                                  > > isn't actually a form of Latin at all, of course; but the name
                                  is enough.

                                  > On another list, disastrous wedding ceremonies are being
                                  discussed, and a
                                  > Listmember said she had attended a wedding at which the minister
                                  chanted in Pig
                                  > Latin.
                                  >
                                  > She has not revealed which artspay of the eremonysay.
                                  >
                                  > Diamond Proudbrook

                                  Ragarding Pig Latin, I just thought I say that if you're weird
                                  enough you can get a Google toolbar to search in it :

                                  http://toolbar.google.com/intl/xx-piglatin/install

                                  (More generally about Google toolbar :
                                  http://toolbar.google.com/ )

                                  Doesn't cast spells, as far as I know.