Aslan sighting

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2003
      Looking up youthful singer Aselin Debison on the Web, I find...

      "Aselin, named for the lion in C.S. Lewis' TALES OF NARNIA, ..."

      http://www.cbc.ca/aselin/about.html

      Haven't heard her yet but am curious.

      Diamond Proudbrook
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22, 2003
        In a message dated 6/22/2003 10:37:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        Stolzi@... writes:

        > Looking up youthful singer Aselin Debison on the Web, I find...
        >
        > "Aselin, named for the lion in C.S. Lewis' TALES OF NARNIA, ..."
        >
        > http://www.cbc.ca/aselin/about.html
        >
        > Haven't heard her yet but am curious.

        If you click on "Music" on her website, you'll can get streaming versions of
        her music. (Note: This is an official website, so this is presumably not
        pirated music.) I listened to a few songs and, while she's a pretty good singer
        for a 12-year-old, she's not great. It will be interesting to see as she ages
        if she'll turn out to be a great singer. She apparently wrote a few of her
        songs. Her songwriting looks more interesting than her singing, to be honest.
        I couldn't find anything on the website about why her parents decided to
        spell her name "Aselin" instead of "Aslan" if they named her after Lewis's
        character.

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 22, 2003
          In a message dated 6/22/2003 1:43:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
          WendellWag@... writes:

          > I couldn't find anything on the website about why her parents decided to
          > spell her name "Aselin" instead of "Aslan" if they named her after Lewis's
          > character.

          To make it more like a girl's name, I suppose. I had at first thought it was
          something Gaelic that I didn't recognize.

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • alexeik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 23, 2003
            In a message dated 6/22/3 10:10:31 PM, Diamond Proudbrook wrote:

            <<WendellWag@... writes:

            > I couldn't find anything on the website about why her parents decided to
            > spell her name "Aselin" instead of "Aslan" if they named her after Lewis's
            > character.

            To make it more like a girl's name, I suppose. I had at first thought it was
            something Gaelic that I didn't recognize.

            Indeed. It looks like an attempt to blend "Aslan" with _Aisling_, which has
            become a popular Irish girl's name within the last generation or so.
            Alexei