Harry!

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 21, 2003
      Comes, this morning, a gentle tipping-tapping at the door of my house as it
      might be on Privet Drive.

      My own local Cerberus, of course, explodes with barks, but by the time I get
      my robe on and get to the door, the mystery visitor has departed.

      Leaving a large cardboard book-box on the step.

      Dauntingly large; I am eyeing this thing with some qualms as to whether it
      will be a real joy to read, or not. But I was pleased by the mysterious, and
      date-prompt, arrival. I cd say "a little touch of Harry in the night" except
      that it was broad daylight by that time (and me slugging abed, in fact)

      Wednesday in my old-ladies-arthritis pool class, everyone =else= who had
      ordered it, or had a discount coupon for it, was procuring the new Harry Potter
      for their grandchildren, not for themselves like me. (SIGH) Always the
      weirdo....

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 21, 2003
        This AM we went to a local children's bookstore and picked up the copy I
        bought through Harold's school (Scholastic gave the school an extra
        credit for it).

        And a Second Copy to keep the Harolds from fighting over the one copy.

        And the Book on CD. I like the reader and they are unabridged. I've
        started the first book that way. It's fun and a different way to get to
        the thing since I'm always so busy.

        And a copy of Caroline by Gaiman, because it sounded interesting.

        Big Harold has already read the last chapter ("I know who died." and
        other taunts) and is now reading the rest of the book. Moose was busy on
        a project but will get to it when he can. The extra copy may go to the
        grandkids when the Harolds are done with it. Christopher has already
        read the other 4 books to himself and Matthew likes having them read to
        him.

        I will bring up the rear eventually. I have far too many projects and
        reading to do.

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 21, 2003
          From: <Stolzi@...>

          > Wednesday in my old-ladies-arthritis pool class, everyone =else= who had
          > ordered it, or had a discount coupon for it, was procuring the new Harry
          Potter
          > for their grandchildren, not for themselves like me. (SIGH) Always the
          > weirdo....

          Oh, they just say that, Mary. They read it, too -- at least all the
          grandmothers at my church do. (And if they don't, they're probably boring.)

          Berni
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 22, 2003
            I just wish we got an extra of the hat, because it has the date on it and
            we spent yesterday at my brother in law's wedding.

            Lizzie Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 23, 2003
              My friend Harry was talking about HP V (which he is about 2/3 the way
              through; his copy arrived Saturday morning) and I said "Well, I'll probably
              order mine from the Science Fiction Book Club." Whereupon he said:
              "That's not necessary." Then he explained what happened.

              Seems an owl who presumably works for Amazon.com (at least according to
              Harry who ordered his copy from there), accidently placed *two* copies of
              HP V into his box and sent it out. Consequently, Harry said to me "Would
              you like a copy?" Of course, I said "Yes!" For which I paid him about
              $15-17 last night. (He said that was about right; books are pretty cheap
              on Amazon. Note: I have never ordered anything from them; it's too
              *dangerous!*)

              It's like God said "Here. Have a copy. Cheap." Though I hate to think
              that perhaps somewhere, someone has *not* received *their* copy of HP V. I
              hope that's not the case. (I suspect Harry ordered an extra copy, and
              doesn't want to admit it!)

              I plan to start it this evening. ---djb

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • alexeik@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 23, 2003
                In a message dated 6/22/3 2:39:38 AM, Lisa Harrigan wrote:

                <<And a copy of Caroline by Gaiman, because it sounded interesting.>>

                "'It's Coraline. Not Caroline. Coraline, ' said Coraline."

                Alexei
              • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 23, 2003
                  Sorry Coraline - I didn't have the book in front of me.

                  Mythically yours,
                  Lisa