George R.R. Martin news

  • David S Bratman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 21 8:11 AM
      If there are any George R.R. Martin fans out there waiting for the next
      novel in his fantasy series, this piece of news came in a bookstore newsletter:

      >Newsflash for Martin fans: Unfortunately, the September release date for
      >A FEAST FOR CROWS has been officially cancelled, because Martin is still
      >writing the book. We don't have an updated expected release date, but we
      >promise to let you know just as soon as we do.

      - David Bratman
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 23 8:31 AM
        If there are any George R.R. Martin fans out there waiting for the next
        novel in his fantasy series, this piece of news came in a bookstore
        newsletter:

        >Newsflash for Martin fans: Unfortunately, the September release date for
        >A FEAST FOR CROWS has been officially cancelled, because Martin is still
        >writing the book. We don't have an updated expected release date, but we
        >promise to let you know just as soon as we do.

        Thanks for the info, David. AAAARRRGGHH! ---djb

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • Daran Grissom
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 23 6:20 PM
          It has been increasingly frustrating at how long it takes authors of multi volume books to finish. I wouldn't mind it so much if the time given in the previous book, or on the web sites bore any resemblence to when they would be finished. Martin says, on his web site, that he has recieved many e-mails telling him to take his time and do the best job he can. I understand that. However, when the author says that they have already outlined most of the story line, like Rowling, and George R.R. Martin, and Robert Jordan, you would think they would have a reasonable idea of how long it would take for them to flesh it our and get it to the public.
          Also, it would be nice if the author would keep us apprised of their progress, not just pushing back the release date. Martin's web site for example still says his next Song of Ice and Fire book won't be released in June as had been previously expected. Many of us have found that out in that our preordered copies haven't arrived. I'd simply like to have a general idea of when to set my hopes now.

          If there are any George R.R. Martin fans out there waiting for the next
          novel in his fantasy series, this piece of news came in a bookstore
          newsletter:

          >Newsflash for Martin fans: Unfortunately, the September release date for
          >A FEAST FOR CROWS has been officially cancelled, because Martin is still
          >writing the book. We don't have an updated expected release date, but we
          >promise to let you know just as soon as we do.

          Thanks for the info, David. AAAARRRGGHH! ---djb

          http://mail2web.com/ .

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Jack
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 23 6:27 PM
            >It has been increasingly frustrating at how long it takes authors of multi
            >volume books to finish. I wouldn't mind it so much if the time given in
            >the previous book, or on the web sites bore any resemblence to when they
            >would be finished. Martin says, on his web site, that he has recieved
            >many e-mails telling him to take his time and do the best job he can. I
            >understand that. However, when the author says that they have already
            >outlined most of the story line, like Rowling, and George R.R. Martin, and
            >Robert Jordan, you would think they would have a reasonable idea of how
            >long it would take for them to flesh it our and get it to the public.
            >Also, it would be nice if the author would keep us apprised of their
            >progress, not just pushing back the release date. Martin's web site for
            >example still says his next Song of Ice and Fire book won't be released in
            >June as had been previously expected. Many of us have found that out in
            >that our preordered copies haven't arrived. I'd simply like to have a
            >general idea of when to set my hopes now.

            I strongly disagree. An outline gives an author no real idea of how long a
            work take. I know from having talked to authors such as Charles de Lint and
            Will Shetterly that
            progess on a book can range from a few pages a day to no more than a dozen
            or so. I really admire writers like Terry Prachett that can crank out
            fairly decent material at a high rate of production as most authors can't.

            NR (again) -- Terri Windling's The Wood Wife

          • Daran Grissom
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 23 7:13 PM
              Jack <jack@...> wrote:

              I strongly disagree. An outline gives an author no real idea of how long a
              work take. I know from having talked to authors such as Charles de Lint and
              Will Shetterly that
              progess on a book can range from a few pages a day to no more than a dozen
              or so. I really admire writers like Terry Prachett that can crank out
              fairly decent material at a high rate of production as most authors can't.

              Even at only three pages a day (sometimes more somtimes less), you could write 1,095 page in a year assuming you wrote everyday as sevral aurthors says is necessary. Then allow a six months for revision, and that's still one more year for Jordan between his last two books, two and a half for Rowling, and about two and a half for Martin. I'd like to point that Robert Jordan used to publish every year on the dot, back when he was writting Connan, with litle difference in the quality of witting.

              In any case my point is, they should set more realistic dates for when the books are published. I believe they think that fans will wait, and stand stoicly by as the release dates are pushed back again and again, because they're books are as good as they are, but if you set a date, you should stick to it. That's just common courtesey

            • SusanPal@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 23 8:06 PM
                In a message dated 6/23/2003 7:17:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                darancgrissom@... writes:

                > In any case my point is, they should set more realistic dates for when the
                > books are published. I believe they think that fans will wait, and stand
                > stoicly by as the release dates are pushed back again and again, because they're
                > books are as good as they are, but if you set a date, you should stick to
                > it. That's just common courtesey

                Writing isn't a science; it's an art. I've written three novels. The first
                took a year and a half; the second has taken over ten years (I'm trying to
                revise it this summer!), and the third (which is being published second) took ten
                and a half weeks. Even if you're working from an outline, it's impossible to
                predict when you'll hit snags in the process, or when life will throw you a
                curve-ball -- illness, family problems, a sudden move or job change -- that
                interferes with your productivity. And neither inspiration nor composition is a
                tap that you can simply turn on; there are various disciplines to make those
                mysterious states more accessible, but they're still definitely mysteries.

                Granted, my process is unusually variable (which is why I'll never be as
                famous as the others we're discussing!). The personal lesson I've learned from
                all of this is that I'll never write another book under contract, because that
                kind of pressure does very odd things to my process. But I have a cushy day
                job: people who write for a living don't have the luxury of only selling books
                they've already written. And the pressure of public expectation can be a
                HUGE stumbling block; I'm sure that's much of what caused Rowling's delay.
                Writers aren't machines. They're people.

                And that's only the writing half of the equation. Throw the vagaries of
                publishing into the loop -- since editors are overworked, underpaid, and as
                subject to delays and distractions as writers are -- and things get *really*
                unpredictable.

                So please don't beat up writers whose books seem to be taking too long. I
                guarantee you that they're even more upset about it than you are!

                Susan

              • Daran Grissom
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 24 3:27 PM
                  Writing, is not a science, but it can be a process. I also could never write under a contract, I tend to freeze up when someone gives me a time limit But these writers have chosen to work under contracts. They made a promise to have a book done on such and such a date. If it was the publishers fault, they writer needs to correct them the next time. All professional artists work under a time limitation of some kind, usually a financial one. If an artist dosn't't produce new works they don't get paid. I would also like to point out that if you couldn't't set an objective time limit for someones writing, many never pass even remedial English courses, much less the more advanced fiction writing courses that I think many of the people on this list have taken. I know there is a difference between academic writing and commercial writing, but the time limits are longer they're setting the due date. I have no problem if an author can't say when the next series in his or her work will be published, I have been patiently been waiting for the next book in the Mode series by Piers Anthony for over six years. He tells you right up from (OK, actually in the back flap) that he makes no promises as to when his books will be published. This as opposed to Robert Jorden who still tells fans that he publishes one Wheel of Time books every year, to year and a half, a goal he has not met for at least the last four books in his series.
                  Of course I have every sympathy for tragedies and unforeseen events in the writers life. Because I am a fan I make sure that I have fairly good idea of what is going on in their lives, and when something of that nature comes up, I make allowances. J.K. Rowling for example: Between book four and five got married, got pregnant, became the wolrds most popular children's writer of all time, and moved into a castle. Yeah, I can see why that would cause some delays. Also, were I her I would have gone back and rewritten the book myself, after all the media coverage she got with Goblet of Fire.

                  SusanPal@... wrote:In a message dated 6/23/2003 7:17:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,