Re: [mythsoc] Hidden Key to Harry Potter (?)

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2003
      At 10:58 AM 6/20/2003 , Stolzi wrote:
      >http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel062003.asp
      >
      >Some of the "links" really sound silly. For instance, IIRC, Rowling didn't
      >use "J.R." on her book because of any homage to JRRT, but because she wanted
      >to appear as one who might be a male writer.

      The article says: "Her use of 'J.R.' for her byline evokes 'J.R.R.' Tolkien."

      The American Heritage Dictionary says: "Evoke: To call to mind by naming,
      citing, or suggesting."

      I think the article's comment may be paraphrased as: "Hey, the initials
      remind me of Tolkien, so I'm going to throw that in to make it sound
      significant. Who cares if the author had it in mind or not? I never said
      she did. Be grateful I wasn't reminded of J.R. Ewing."

      Need I spoil the whole thing by pointing out that the byline is J.K.
      Rowling, not J.R. Rowling?

      - David Bratman
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2003
        In a message dated 6/20/2003 4:15:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
        dbratman@... writes:

        > Need I spoil the whole thing by pointing out that the byline is J.K.
        > Rowling, not J.R. Rowling?

        I know, this came to me a few minutes after hitting "Send." But at least I
        already distrusted the idea!

        This author's thesis has ignited the closest thing to a flame-war I have yet
        seen on a List usually so loving and benevolent as to be almost saccharine
        (Wingfold, a Geo MacDonald List)

        Diamond Proudbrook