Hidden Key to Harry Potter (?)

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2003
      http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel062003.asp

      Article offering a quick boil-down of a book which has unleashed a certain
      amount of controversy - at least on one of the lists I frequent.

      Some of the "links" really sound silly. For instance, IIRC, Rowling didn't
      use "J.R." on her book because of any homage to JRRT, but because she wanted to
      appear as one who might be a male writer.

      I doubt Hidden Key to Harry Potter merits any kind of award nomination from
      us, but would certainly like to see it reviewed eventually for MYTHPRINT.
      Wonder if the Society could score a review copy. Ellie?

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2003
        At 10:58 AM 6/20/2003 , Stolzi wrote:
        >http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel062003.asp
        >
        >Some of the "links" really sound silly. For instance, IIRC, Rowling didn't
        >use "J.R." on her book because of any homage to JRRT, but because she wanted
        >to appear as one who might be a male writer.

        The article says: "Her use of 'J.R.' for her byline evokes 'J.R.R.' Tolkien."

        The American Heritage Dictionary says: "Evoke: To call to mind by naming,
        citing, or suggesting."

        I think the article's comment may be paraphrased as: "Hey, the initials
        remind me of Tolkien, so I'm going to throw that in to make it sound
        significant. Who cares if the author had it in mind or not? I never said
        she did. Be grateful I wasn't reminded of J.R. Ewing."

        Need I spoil the whole thing by pointing out that the byline is J.K.
        Rowling, not J.R. Rowling?

        - David Bratman
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 20, 2003
          In a message dated 6/20/2003 4:15:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
          dbratman@... writes:

          > Need I spoil the whole thing by pointing out that the byline is J.K.
          > Rowling, not J.R. Rowling?

          I know, this came to me a few minutes after hitting "Send." But at least I
          already distrusted the idea!

          This author's thesis has ignited the closest thing to a flame-war I have yet
          seen on a List usually so loving and benevolent as to be almost saccharine
          (Wingfold, a Geo MacDonald List)

          Diamond Proudbrook