RE: [mythsoc] Another character done gone - new HP - ANOTHER?!

  • Croft, Janet B
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
      It could indeed be Dumbledore -- but I would expect that more towards the
      end of the series, maybe the end of book 6? Terrible thought -- Mr. or Mrs.
      Weasley??

      Should arrive on my doorstep from Amazon Saturday... we'll see who grabs it
      first!

      Janet

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
        We have the coupon bought through our local Middle School. Our local
        Children's independent bookstore is doing a maze and other fun stuff
        starting at 7 am. So we'll be heading over sometime in the am. I hope we
        can leave them so additional money in the way of aditional books
        purchased. They have been supporting HP since Book 1 and do deserve reward.

        Jo has shown a good nack for storytelling. I'm sure it will be horrible
        and appropriate. And yes, I fear it is Dumbledore as well. He is old and
        tired. And the ultimate battle must be Harry's alone. That's the usual
        rules for these things.

        The Harolds are already fighting over who gets to read it first! I
        actually want it to be Moose, since he won't tell the rest of us all
        about it before we get our chance! But I'll be last, and I'll have heard
        far too much courtesy of my husband who has no problems giving out all
        the plot details even as he reads it.

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
          From: <SusanPal@...>

          > In a message dated 6/18/2003 2:43:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          Stolzi@...
          > writes:
          >
          > > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
          > > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear
          >
          > What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
          > something's not quite right with him.

          Plus he's really old, so he could conceivably die of natural causes,
          particularly after expending a tremendous amount of effort. I vote for
          McGonagle (or however you spell her name) for headmistress of Hogwarts after
          him.

          Hey, Mary, may we borrow your copy at Mythcon? I don't intend to buy it
          until it comes out in paperback.

          Berni
        • Margaret Dean
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
            SusanPal@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 6/18/2003 6:49:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            > bernip@... writes:
            >
            > > I vote for
            > > McGonagle (or however you spell her name) for headmistress of Hogwarts
            > > after him.
            > >

            > My thoughts precisely!

            Heh. My vote is for Snape, actually -- by previous secret
            arrangement with Dumbledore, only they let Lucius Malfoy =think=
            it's his idea. Just picture Harry's horror...

            --Margaret Dean
            <margdean@...>
          • SusanPal@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
              bernip@... writes:

              > I vote for
              > McGonagle (or however you spell her name) for headmistress of Hogwarts after
              > him.

              My thoughts precisely!

              Susan

            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
                Heh. My vote is for Snape, actually -- by previous secret
                arrangement with Dumbledore, only they let Lucius Malfoy =think=
                it's his idea. Just picture Harry's horror... >>

                I am dying to find out what is the story with Snape.... and with
                Hagrid&Dumbledore. Do you think Dumbledore is Hagrid's father? I think
                Snape and James Potter were both after the gal that ended up Harry's mum.
                Not that I classify all conflicts via romance and its convolutions...
                well.... maybe a little....

                I think it is possible that a real main character, such as Harry, could die
                at the end of the last book, but that would catapult the mood out of the
                happy-ending preferred by YA and even many adult readers. I would agree
                that Dumbledore could die; perhaps the student death in the last book was
                preparing us for such an eventuality. Hey, we could really be surprised
                and it could be Snape himself who dies, after of course we get hte rest of
                his story first.

                We will likely get the book in hand fairly soon, and I will get to read it
                first (husband isnt' interested, and interested child can't quite read it
                on his own yet). It is providing handy motivation to try again at reading
                the third book... we got partway into it and it was just too much. Now
                with summer coming it should go better.

                When is the next movie due out?

                Lizzie Triano
                lizziewriter@...
                amor vincit omnia
              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 19, 2003
                  In a message dated 6/18/2003 8:49:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  bernip@... writes:

                  > Hey, Mary, may we borrow your copy at Mythcon? I don't intend to buy it
                  > until it comes out in paperback.

                  You should be attending stuff, Berni, not reading! ;) And this one will
                  take a whale of reading - isn't it the longest one yet?

                  Or, wait, I'll let you read it at the reg. desk if you'll do the sitting
                  there handing out reg packets :)

                  Mary S

                • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 19, 2003
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 19, 2003
                      From: <SusanPal@...>

                      > In a message dated 6/18/2003 2:43:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                      Stolzi@...
                      > writes:
                      >
                      > > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
                      > > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear
                      >
                      > What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
                      > something's not quite right with him.

                      I think that it will probably be Dumbledore, then Voldemort could put someone in the headmasters seat at Hogworts. I just hope it is not one of the Ron or Hermione, or any of the Weasleys.