Re: [mythsoc] Another character done gone - new HP - ANOTHER?!

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
      In a message dated 6/18/2003 2:43:27 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
      writes:

      > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
      > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear

      What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
      something's not quite right with him.

      Susan

    • Croft, Janet B
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
        It could indeed be Dumbledore -- but I would expect that more towards the
        end of the series, maybe the end of book 6? Terrible thought -- Mr. or Mrs.
        Weasley??

        Should arrive on my doorstep from Amazon Saturday... we'll see who grabs it
        first!

        Janet

        writes:

        > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
        > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear

        What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
        something's not quite right with him.

        Susan

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3456232.4744922.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=166139810>

        <http://www.mythsoc.org>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
          We have the coupon bought through our local Middle School. Our local
          Children's independent bookstore is doing a maze and other fun stuff
          starting at 7 am. So we'll be heading over sometime in the am. I hope we
          can leave them so additional money in the way of aditional books
          purchased. They have been supporting HP since Book 1 and do deserve reward.

          Jo has shown a good nack for storytelling. I'm sure it will be horrible
          and appropriate. And yes, I fear it is Dumbledore as well. He is old and
          tired. And the ultimate battle must be Harry's alone. That's the usual
          rules for these things.

          The Harolds are already fighting over who gets to read it first! I
          actually want it to be Moose, since he won't tell the rest of us all
          about it before we get our chance! But I'll be last, and I'll have heard
          far too much courtesy of my husband who has no problems giving out all
          the plot details even as he reads it.

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
            From: <SusanPal@...>

            > In a message dated 6/18/2003 2:43:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            Stolzi@...
            > writes:
            >
            > > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
            > > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear
            >
            > What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
            > something's not quite right with him.

            Plus he's really old, so he could conceivably die of natural causes,
            particularly after expending a tremendous amount of effort. I vote for
            McGonagle (or however you spell her name) for headmistress of Hogwarts after
            him.

            Hey, Mary, may we borrow your copy at Mythcon? I don't intend to buy it
            until it comes out in paperback.

            Berni
          • Margaret Dean
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
              SusanPal@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 6/18/2003 6:49:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              > bernip@... writes:
              >
              > > I vote for
              > > McGonagle (or however you spell her name) for headmistress of Hogwarts
              > > after him.
              > >

              > My thoughts precisely!

              Heh. My vote is for Snape, actually -- by previous secret
              arrangement with Dumbledore, only they let Lucius Malfoy =think=
              it's his idea. Just picture Harry's horror...

              --Margaret Dean
              <margdean@...>
            • SusanPal@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
                bernip@... writes:

                > I vote for
                > McGonagle (or however you spell her name) for headmistress of Hogwarts after
                > him.

                My thoughts precisely!

                Susan

              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
                  Heh. My vote is for Snape, actually -- by previous secret
                  arrangement with Dumbledore, only they let Lucius Malfoy =think=
                  it's his idea. Just picture Harry's horror... >>

                  I am dying to find out what is the story with Snape.... and with
                  Hagrid&Dumbledore. Do you think Dumbledore is Hagrid's father? I think
                  Snape and James Potter were both after the gal that ended up Harry's mum.
                  Not that I classify all conflicts via romance and its convolutions...
                  well.... maybe a little....

                  I think it is possible that a real main character, such as Harry, could die
                  at the end of the last book, but that would catapult the mood out of the
                  happy-ending preferred by YA and even many adult readers. I would agree
                  that Dumbledore could die; perhaps the student death in the last book was
                  preparing us for such an eventuality. Hey, we could really be surprised
                  and it could be Snape himself who dies, after of course we get hte rest of
                  his story first.

                  We will likely get the book in hand fairly soon, and I will get to read it
                  first (husband isnt' interested, and interested child can't quite read it
                  on his own yet). It is providing handy motivation to try again at reading
                  the third book... we got partway into it and it was just too much. Now
                  with summer coming it should go better.

                  When is the next movie due out?

                  Lizzie Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia
                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 19, 2003
                    In a message dated 6/18/2003 8:49:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    bernip@... writes:

                    > Hey, Mary, may we borrow your copy at Mythcon? I don't intend to buy it
                    > until it comes out in paperback.

                    You should be attending stuff, Berni, not reading! ;) And this one will
                    take a whale of reading - isn't it the longest one yet?

                    Or, wait, I'll let you read it at the reg. desk if you'll do the sitting
                    there handing out reg packets :)

                    Mary S

                  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 19, 2003
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 19, 2003
                        From: <SusanPal@...>

                        > In a message dated 6/18/2003 2:43:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                        Stolzi@...
                        > writes:
                        >
                        > > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
                        > > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear
                        >
                        > What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
                        > something's not quite right with him.

                        I think that it will probably be Dumbledore, then Voldemort could put someone in the headmasters seat at Hogworts. I just hope it is not one of the Ron or Hermione, or any of the Weasleys.