Re: [mythsoc] Another character done gone - new HP - ANOTHER?!

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
      In a message dated 6/18/2003 10:23:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
      lizziewriter@... writes:

      > My guesses are that Ron and Hermione will be a couple... not so sure about
      > Harry and what's her name, the little Weasely.

      So you're confident she won't kill off any of the really important ones?

      What about Hagrid, though?

      My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
      self-sacrificing about it... oh dear

      Whereas I myself would probably =enjoy= killing Gilderoy Lockhart!

      Got my copy reserved and pre-paid, coming by mail or perhaps they'll tell me
      to pick it up at my neighborhood Costco since I ordered it from Costco online.

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
        In a message dated 6/18/2003 2:43:27 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
        > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear

        What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
        something's not quite right with him.

        Susan

      • Croft, Janet B
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
          It could indeed be Dumbledore -- but I would expect that more towards the
          end of the series, maybe the end of book 6? Terrible thought -- Mr. or Mrs.
          Weasley??

          Should arrive on my doorstep from Amazon Saturday... we'll see who grabs it
          first!

          Janet

          writes:

          > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
          > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear

          What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
          something's not quite right with him.

          Susan

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3456232.4744922.1261774/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=166139810>

          <http://www.mythsoc.org>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
            We have the coupon bought through our local Middle School. Our local
            Children's independent bookstore is doing a maze and other fun stuff
            starting at 7 am. So we'll be heading over sometime in the am. I hope we
            can leave them so additional money in the way of aditional books
            purchased. They have been supporting HP since Book 1 and do deserve reward.

            Jo has shown a good nack for storytelling. I'm sure it will be horrible
            and appropriate. And yes, I fear it is Dumbledore as well. He is old and
            tired. And the ultimate battle must be Harry's alone. That's the usual
            rules for these things.

            The Harolds are already fighting over who gets to read it first! I
            actually want it to be Moose, since he won't tell the rest of us all
            about it before we get our chance! But I'll be last, and I'll have heard
            far too much courtesy of my husband who has no problems giving out all
            the plot details even as he reads it.

            Mythically yours,
            Lisa
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
              From: <SusanPal@...>

              > In a message dated 6/18/2003 2:43:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              Stolzi@...
              > writes:
              >
              > > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
              > > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear
              >
              > What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
              > something's not quite right with him.

              Plus he's really old, so he could conceivably die of natural causes,
              particularly after expending a tremendous amount of effort. I vote for
              McGonagle (or however you spell her name) for headmistress of Hogwarts after
              him.

              Hey, Mary, may we borrow your copy at Mythcon? I don't intend to buy it
              until it comes out in paperback.

              Berni
            • Margaret Dean
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
                SusanPal@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 6/18/2003 6:49:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                > bernip@... writes:
                >
                > > I vote for
                > > McGonagle (or however you spell her name) for headmistress of Hogwarts
                > > after him.
                > >

                > My thoughts precisely!

                Heh. My vote is for Snape, actually -- by previous secret
                arrangement with Dumbledore, only they let Lucius Malfoy =think=
                it's his idea. Just picture Harry's horror...

                --Margaret Dean
                <margdean@...>
              • SusanPal@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
                  bernip@... writes:

                  > I vote for
                  > McGonagle (or however you spell her name) for headmistress of Hogwarts after
                  > him.

                  My thoughts precisely!

                  Susan

                • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
                    Heh. My vote is for Snape, actually -- by previous secret
                    arrangement with Dumbledore, only they let Lucius Malfoy =think=
                    it's his idea. Just picture Harry's horror... >>

                    I am dying to find out what is the story with Snape.... and with
                    Hagrid&Dumbledore. Do you think Dumbledore is Hagrid's father? I think
                    Snape and James Potter were both after the gal that ended up Harry's mum.
                    Not that I classify all conflicts via romance and its convolutions...
                    well.... maybe a little....

                    I think it is possible that a real main character, such as Harry, could die
                    at the end of the last book, but that would catapult the mood out of the
                    happy-ending preferred by YA and even many adult readers. I would agree
                    that Dumbledore could die; perhaps the student death in the last book was
                    preparing us for such an eventuality. Hey, we could really be surprised
                    and it could be Snape himself who dies, after of course we get hte rest of
                    his story first.

                    We will likely get the book in hand fairly soon, and I will get to read it
                    first (husband isnt' interested, and interested child can't quite read it
                    on his own yet). It is providing handy motivation to try again at reading
                    the third book... we got partway into it and it was just too much. Now
                    with summer coming it should go better.

                    When is the next movie due out?

                    Lizzie Triano
                    lizziewriter@...
                    amor vincit omnia
                  • Stolzi@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 19, 2003
                      In a message dated 6/18/2003 8:49:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
                      bernip@... writes:

                      > Hey, Mary, may we borrow your copy at Mythcon? I don't intend to buy it
                      > until it comes out in paperback.

                      You should be attending stuff, Berni, not reading! ;) And this one will
                      take a whale of reading - isn't it the longest one yet?

                      Or, wait, I'll let you read it at the reg. desk if you'll do the sitting
                      there handing out reg packets :)

                      Mary S

                    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 19, 2003
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 19, 2003
                          From: <SusanPal@...>

                          > In a message dated 6/18/2003 2:43:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                          Stolzi@...
                          > writes:
                          >
                          > > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
                          > > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear
                          >
                          > What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
                          > something's not quite right with him.

                          I think that it will probably be Dumbledore, then Voldemort could put someone in the headmasters seat at Hogworts. I just hope it is not one of the Ron or Hermione, or any of the Weasleys.