Re: [mythsoc] Another character done gone - new HP - ANOTHER?!

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 18 8:40 AM
      In a message dated 6/18/2003 8:23:41 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      lizziewriter@... writes:

      > We have our coupon for HPV,

      Reading this in my early morning groggy state, for a second I thought you
      meant Human Papilloma Virus, the family of bugs that causes cervical cancer and
      other unpleasant conditions.

      *That* woke me up!

      Susan

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 18 2:39 PM
        In a message dated 6/18/2003 10:23:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
        lizziewriter@... writes:

        > My guesses are that Ron and Hermione will be a couple... not so sure about
        > Harry and what's her name, the little Weasely.

        So you're confident she won't kill off any of the really important ones?

        What about Hagrid, though?

        My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
        self-sacrificing about it... oh dear

        Whereas I myself would probably =enjoy= killing Gilderoy Lockhart!

        Got my copy reserved and pre-paid, coming by mail or perhaps they'll tell me
        to pick it up at my neighborhood Costco since I ordered it from Costco online.

        Diamond Proudbrook

      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 18 3:09 PM
          In a message dated 6/18/2003 2:43:27 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
          writes:

          > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
          > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear

          What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
          something's not quite right with him.

          Susan

        • Croft, Janet B
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 18 3:10 PM
            It could indeed be Dumbledore -- but I would expect that more towards the
            end of the series, maybe the end of book 6? Terrible thought -- Mr. or Mrs.
            Weasley??

            Should arrive on my doorstep from Amazon Saturday... we'll see who grabs it
            first!

            Janet

            writes:

            > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
            > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear

            What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
            something's not quite right with him.

            Susan

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3456232.4744922.1261774/D=egroupmai
            l/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=166139810>

            <http://www.mythsoc.org>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 18 5:48 PM
              We have the coupon bought through our local Middle School. Our local
              Children's independent bookstore is doing a maze and other fun stuff
              starting at 7 am. So we'll be heading over sometime in the am. I hope we
              can leave them so additional money in the way of aditional books
              purchased. They have been supporting HP since Book 1 and do deserve reward.

              Jo has shown a good nack for storytelling. I'm sure it will be horrible
              and appropriate. And yes, I fear it is Dumbledore as well. He is old and
              tired. And the ultimate battle must be Harry's alone. That's the usual
              rules for these things.

              The Harolds are already fighting over who gets to read it first! I
              actually want it to be Moose, since he won't tell the rest of us all
              about it before we get our chance! But I'll be last, and I'll have heard
              far too much courtesy of my husband who has no problems giving out all
              the plot details even as he reads it.

              Mythically yours,
              Lisa
            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 18 6:16 PM
                From: <SusanPal@...>

                > In a message dated 6/18/2003 2:43:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                Stolzi@...
                > writes:
                >
                > > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
                > > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear
                >
                > What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
                > something's not quite right with him.

                Plus he's really old, so he could conceivably die of natural causes,
                particularly after expending a tremendous amount of effort. I vote for
                McGonagle (or however you spell her name) for headmistress of Hogwarts after
                him.

                Hey, Mary, may we borrow your copy at Mythcon? I don't intend to buy it
                until it comes out in paperback.

                Berni
              • Margaret Dean
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 18 6:29 PM
                  SusanPal@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 6/18/2003 6:49:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                  > bernip@... writes:
                  >
                  > > I vote for
                  > > McGonagle (or however you spell her name) for headmistress of Hogwarts
                  > > after him.
                  > >

                  > My thoughts precisely!

                  Heh. My vote is for Snape, actually -- by previous secret
                  arrangement with Dumbledore, only they let Lucius Malfoy =think=
                  it's his idea. Just picture Harry's horror...

                  --Margaret Dean
                  <margdean@...>
                • SusanPal@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 18 7:05 PM
                    bernip@... writes:

                    > I vote for
                    > McGonagle (or however you spell her name) for headmistress of Hogwarts after
                    > him.

                    My thoughts precisely!

                    Susan

                  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 18 7:42 PM
                      Heh. My vote is for Snape, actually -- by previous secret
                      arrangement with Dumbledore, only they let Lucius Malfoy =think=
                      it's his idea. Just picture Harry's horror... >>

                      I am dying to find out what is the story with Snape.... and with
                      Hagrid&Dumbledore. Do you think Dumbledore is Hagrid's father? I think
                      Snape and James Potter were both after the gal that ended up Harry's mum.
                      Not that I classify all conflicts via romance and its convolutions...
                      well.... maybe a little....

                      I think it is possible that a real main character, such as Harry, could die
                      at the end of the last book, but that would catapult the mood out of the
                      happy-ending preferred by YA and even many adult readers. I would agree
                      that Dumbledore could die; perhaps the student death in the last book was
                      preparing us for such an eventuality. Hey, we could really be surprised
                      and it could be Snape himself who dies, after of course we get hte rest of
                      his story first.

                      We will likely get the book in hand fairly soon, and I will get to read it
                      first (husband isnt' interested, and interested child can't quite read it
                      on his own yet). It is providing handy motivation to try again at reading
                      the third book... we got partway into it and it was just too much. Now
                      with summer coming it should go better.

                      When is the next movie due out?

                      Lizzie Triano
                      lizziewriter@...
                      amor vincit omnia
                    • Stolzi@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 19 8:09 AM
                        In a message dated 6/18/2003 8:49:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
                        bernip@... writes:

                        > Hey, Mary, may we borrow your copy at Mythcon? I don't intend to buy it
                        > until it comes out in paperback.

                        You should be attending stuff, Berni, not reading! ;) And this one will
                        take a whale of reading - isn't it the longest one yet?

                        Or, wait, I'll let you read it at the reg. desk if you'll do the sitting
                        there handing out reg packets :)

                        Mary S

                      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 19 8:17 AM
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 19 2:56 PM
                            From: <SusanPal@...>

                            > In a message dated 6/18/2003 2:43:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                            Stolzi@...
                            > writes:
                            >
                            > > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
                            > > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear
                            >
                            > What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
                            > something's not quite right with him.

                            I think that it will probably be Dumbledore, then Voldemort could put someone in the headmasters seat at Hogworts. I just hope it is not one of the Ron or Hermione, or any of the Weasleys.