Another character done gone - new HP - ANOTHER?!

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
      Below a couple of excerpts from the TELEGRAPH story which is at

      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/06/18/npot18.xml&
      sSheet=/portal/2003/06/18/ixportal.html

      J K Rowling was so upset after killing off one of the main characters in the
      latest Harry Potter book that she burst into tears.

      She recounts how, after completing the final rewrite of the death, she
      wandered into her kitchen crying - to meet with total incomprehension from her
      husband.

      Rowling, who has not disclosed the identity of the doomed character even to
      her husband, says she believes that children's authors have to be "ruthless
      killers".

      snip

      Asked about speculation on how the series might end, she says: "There is one
      thing that, if anyone guessed, I would be really annoyed, as it is kind of the
      heart of it all. And it kind of explodes everything."

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
        Well.... if they ALL always lived that would be a bit much. And if she
        killed off people we hardly met and didn't care about, that would be
        cheating.

        My guesses are that Ron and Hermione will be a couple... not so sure about
        Harry and what's her name, the little Weasely.

        We have our coupon for HPV, and hope to nip out before a wedding on
        Saturday that all the boys are in to get it. (The children are too young
        to stay up after the rehearsal, go to collect the book at midnight, and all
        that sort of thing.)

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
          In a message dated 6/18/2003 8:23:41 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          lizziewriter@... writes:

          > We have our coupon for HPV,

          Reading this in my early morning groggy state, for a second I thought you
          meant Human Papilloma Virus, the family of bugs that causes cervical cancer and
          other unpleasant conditions.

          *That* woke me up!

          Susan

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
            In a message dated 6/18/2003 10:23:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
            lizziewriter@... writes:

            > My guesses are that Ron and Hermione will be a couple... not so sure about
            > Harry and what's her name, the little Weasely.

            So you're confident she won't kill off any of the really important ones?

            What about Hagrid, though?

            My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
            self-sacrificing about it... oh dear

            Whereas I myself would probably =enjoy= killing Gilderoy Lockhart!

            Got my copy reserved and pre-paid, coming by mail or perhaps they'll tell me
            to pick it up at my neighborhood Costco since I ordered it from Costco online.

            Diamond Proudbrook

          • SusanPal@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
              In a message dated 6/18/2003 2:43:27 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
              writes:

              > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
              > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear

              What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
              something's not quite right with him.

              Susan

            • Croft, Janet B
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
                It could indeed be Dumbledore -- but I would expect that more towards the
                end of the series, maybe the end of book 6? Terrible thought -- Mr. or Mrs.
                Weasley??

                Should arrive on my doorstep from Amazon Saturday... we'll see who grabs it
                first!

                Janet

                writes:

                > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
                > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear

                What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
                something's not quite right with him.

                Susan

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3456232.4744922.1261774/D=egroupmai
                l/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=166139810>

                <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
                  We have the coupon bought through our local Middle School. Our local
                  Children's independent bookstore is doing a maze and other fun stuff
                  starting at 7 am. So we'll be heading over sometime in the am. I hope we
                  can leave them so additional money in the way of aditional books
                  purchased. They have been supporting HP since Book 1 and do deserve reward.

                  Jo has shown a good nack for storytelling. I'm sure it will be horrible
                  and appropriate. And yes, I fear it is Dumbledore as well. He is old and
                  tired. And the ultimate battle must be Harry's alone. That's the usual
                  rules for these things.

                  The Harolds are already fighting over who gets to read it first! I
                  actually want it to be Moose, since he won't tell the rest of us all
                  about it before we get our chance! But I'll be last, and I'll have heard
                  far too much courtesy of my husband who has no problems giving out all
                  the plot details even as he reads it.

                  Mythically yours,
                  Lisa
                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
                    From: <SusanPal@...>

                    > In a message dated 6/18/2003 2:43:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                    Stolzi@...
                    > writes:
                    >
                    > > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
                    > > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear
                    >
                    > What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
                    > something's not quite right with him.

                    Plus he's really old, so he could conceivably die of natural causes,
                    particularly after expending a tremendous amount of effort. I vote for
                    McGonagle (or however you spell her name) for headmistress of Hogwarts after
                    him.

                    Hey, Mary, may we borrow your copy at Mythcon? I don't intend to buy it
                    until it comes out in paperback.

                    Berni
                  • Margaret Dean
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
                      SusanPal@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 6/18/2003 6:49:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                      > bernip@... writes:
                      >
                      > > I vote for
                      > > McGonagle (or however you spell her name) for headmistress of Hogwarts
                      > > after him.
                      > >

                      > My thoughts precisely!

                      Heh. My vote is for Snape, actually -- by previous secret
                      arrangement with Dumbledore, only they let Lucius Malfoy =think=
                      it's his idea. Just picture Harry's horror...

                      --Margaret Dean
                      <margdean@...>
                    • SusanPal@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
                        bernip@... writes:

                        > I vote for
                        > McGonagle (or however you spell her name) for headmistress of Hogwarts after
                        > him.

                        My thoughts precisely!

                        Susan

                      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
                          Heh. My vote is for Snape, actually -- by previous secret
                          arrangement with Dumbledore, only they let Lucius Malfoy =think=
                          it's his idea. Just picture Harry's horror... >>

                          I am dying to find out what is the story with Snape.... and with
                          Hagrid&Dumbledore. Do you think Dumbledore is Hagrid's father? I think
                          Snape and James Potter were both after the gal that ended up Harry's mum.
                          Not that I classify all conflicts via romance and its convolutions...
                          well.... maybe a little....

                          I think it is possible that a real main character, such as Harry, could die
                          at the end of the last book, but that would catapult the mood out of the
                          happy-ending preferred by YA and even many adult readers. I would agree
                          that Dumbledore could die; perhaps the student death in the last book was
                          preparing us for such an eventuality. Hey, we could really be surprised
                          and it could be Snape himself who dies, after of course we get hte rest of
                          his story first.

                          We will likely get the book in hand fairly soon, and I will get to read it
                          first (husband isnt' interested, and interested child can't quite read it
                          on his own yet). It is providing handy motivation to try again at reading
                          the third book... we got partway into it and it was just too much. Now
                          with summer coming it should go better.

                          When is the next movie due out?

                          Lizzie Triano
                          lizziewriter@...
                          amor vincit omnia
                        • Stolzi@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 19, 2003
                            In a message dated 6/18/2003 8:49:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
                            bernip@... writes:

                            > Hey, Mary, may we borrow your copy at Mythcon? I don't intend to buy it
                            > until it comes out in paperback.

                            You should be attending stuff, Berni, not reading! ;) And this one will
                            take a whale of reading - isn't it the longest one yet?

                            Or, wait, I'll let you read it at the reg. desk if you'll do the sitting
                            there handing out reg packets :)

                            Mary S

                          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 19, 2003
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 19, 2003
                                From: <SusanPal@...>

                                > In a message dated 6/18/2003 2:43:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                Stolzi@...
                                > writes:
                                >
                                > > My heart misgives me for dear Hagrid... he'd be so brave and gruff and
                                > > self-sacrificing about it... oh dear
                                >
                                > What about Dumbledore? There was a clue at the end of the last book that
                                > something's not quite right with him.

                                I think that it will probably be Dumbledore, then Voldemort could put someone in the headmasters seat at Hogworts. I just hope it is not one of the Ron or Hermione, or any of the Weasleys.