Re: [mythsoc] 'Towers' collectors' DVD

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2003
      Susan Wloszczyna USA TODAY wrote:

      >* Rohan horseman Eomer (Karl Urban) finds his mortally wounded cousin
      >Theodred and brings him home, where his subsequent death goes all but
      >unnoticed by his spell-stunned father, King Theoden (Bernard Hill).

      The increased prominence given to the death of Theodred is the only way I
      thought the movie improved on the book, so a little more of that might even
      be good.

      >* There are more tree treats as the once-truncated encounter between ancient
      >Treebeard the Ent and hobbits Pippin (Billy Boyd) and Merry (Dominic
      >Monaghan) stretches its limbs. At one point, Treebeard's droning rumble of a
      >voice causes the halflings in his branches to become drowsy.

      Sounds jolly. (Not.)

      >* Jackson injects much fun with food and beverage. Eowyn, not especially
      >deft in the kitchen, serves Aragorn a vile-looking bowl of homemade stew,
      >which he politely chokes down.

      Is this supposed to explain why he doesn't fall in love with her?
      (Remember, J-Aragorn is no longer engaged to J-Arwen.)

      "Why so pale and wan, fond lover?
      She cannot cook, you now discover?"
      - Richard Armour

      >Boromir and Faramir share a couple of victory
      >brews, and one declares in beer-ad fashion, "Today, life is good."

      Dialogue that sounds like beer ads, instead of like Tolkien - yes, that
      adequately summarizes Jackson's main problem.

      >The most surprising revelation in the longer Two Towers? That
      >hale-and-hunksome Aragorn is 87 years old. Maybe it's something in that
      >stew.

      Only a revelation if you haven't read the book. But I gather from the
      author's surprise that the film doesn't bother to explain the reason he
      looks so young at that age. Better they should have left the matter out
      entirely, then.

      - David Bratman