Invasion of the dreaded Shredded Wheat People

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2003
      On one of my lists - sorry, I can't remember now which one - reference was
      made to the "deliciously cheesy special effects" of the DOCTOR WHO shows. We
      watched DR WHO - in the Tom Baker era - for a couple years while living
      overseas and enjoyed it tremendously.

      In one of the episodes, the "bad guys" were plants. Yes, that's right; a
      tangled sort of mass of vegetable matter would roll after you, like a huge
      tumbleweed, and if it rolled over you, you'd be dead. Or at least that's how I
      remember it.

      We began to call them the "Dreaded Shredded Wheat People."

      We were amazed to learn, when we got back to the US, that life had started to
      imitate art and reaping machines now cut all the hay and rolled it up into
      giant rolls, scattered over the pastures. .And now, every year about this time,
      I am reminded of that episode, because the Shredded Wheat people are all over
      the fields in this horse-raising county right now, turning a gentle golden
      color.

      Mary S
    • Jane Bigelow
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 10, 2003
        Mary,

        My husband Robert and I thought those were gentle grazing creatures, whose
        young are put into boxes cruelly early in life. Eep. Good thing we
        respected the fence lines as we drove by.

        Jane

        At 09:43 AM 6/9/03 EDT, you wrote:

        >"" Yes, that's right; a
        > tangled sort of mass of vegetable matter would roll after you, like a
        huge tumbleweed (snip)