RE: [mythsoc}That LotR Musical

  • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 28 , May 30, 2003
      William Shatner started out in the very early 1990's writting a really bad
      series called Tek War. I read most of it because I didn't really know what
      was good or bad in science fiction at the time. Any way, for most of that
      series he cowrote with someone. I don't remember who though. He now writes
      mostly on his own, though from what I've heard there is exstensive editing.
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
        As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
        ghost wrote the books.

        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
          In a message dated 6/1/2003 2:12:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          lunacy2@... writes:

          > As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
          > ghost wrote the books.

          I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
          acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
          assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least did a lot of
          rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

        • Jack
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
            >I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
            >acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
            >assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least
            >did a lot of
            >rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

            Most, if not all, of William Shatner's Tek War books were written by Ron
            Goulart.
            Ron even adapted them to comic book format.

            The television series was at least moderately well-done, but the novels are
            not.

            Now reading -- the ARC of de Lint's Spirits in the Wires

          • The Yeti !
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
              A quote from the UK Daily Mail :

              "How will Christopher Tolkien .. greet the news that his father's
              Lord of the Rings trilogy is to be turned into a 3 hour West End
              musical ? JRR Tolkien sold the rights for £ 10000 in 1969. An
              acquientance of Christopher says 'He's catatonic over the success of
              the film and thinks *all* popular entertainment unutterably low'".

              Yeti.

              If this appears twice blame Yahell.
            • Margaret Dean
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                "Daniel B. Karpouzian" wrote:

                > What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                No, no, that's for CELEBORN! :D

                --Margaret Dean
                <margdean@...>
              • Daniel B. Karpouzian
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                  What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                    "When You're Good to Grishnakh...Grishnakh's Good to You!"

                    Janet 8^)

                    What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                    > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                    >
                    > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                    There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                    appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                    Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                    Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                    original
                    Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                    Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                    or
                    1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                    albums
                    singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                    much.

                    Berni

                    <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to