Re: [mythsoc] That LotR Musical

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 28 , May 30, 2003
      Lizzie -

      Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
      actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
      what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
      and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
      interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
      in a Audio Book however :-) .

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa

    • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 28 , May 30, 2003
        William Shatner started out in the very early 1990's writting a really bad
        series called Tek War. I read most of it because I didn't really know what
        was good or bad in science fiction at the time. Any way, for most of that
        series he cowrote with someone. I don't remember who though. He now writes
        mostly on his own, though from what I've heard there is exstensive editing.
        Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
        actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
        what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
        and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
        interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
        in a Audio Book however :-) .

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

        >OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
        >Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
        >stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
        >compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
        >preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
          As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
          ghost wrote the books.

          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
            In a message dated 6/1/2003 2:12:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            lunacy2@... writes:

            > As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
            > ghost wrote the books.

            I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
            acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
            assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least did a lot of
            rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

          • Jack
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
              >I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
              >acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
              >assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least
              >did a lot of
              >rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

              Most, if not all, of William Shatner's Tek War books were written by Ron
              Goulart.
              Ron even adapted them to comic book format.

              The television series was at least moderately well-done, but the novels are
              not.

              Now reading -- the ARC of de Lint's Spirits in the Wires

            • The Yeti !
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                A quote from the UK Daily Mail :

                "How will Christopher Tolkien .. greet the news that his father's
                Lord of the Rings trilogy is to be turned into a 3 hour West End
                musical ? JRR Tolkien sold the rights for £ 10000 in 1969. An
                acquientance of Christopher says 'He's catatonic over the success of
                the film and thinks *all* popular entertainment unutterably low'".

                Yeti.

                If this appears twice blame Yahell.
              • Margaret Dean
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                  "Daniel B. Karpouzian" wrote:

                  > What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                  No, no, that's for CELEBORN! :D

                  --Margaret Dean
                  <margdean@...>
                • Daniel B. Karpouzian
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                    What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                      "When You're Good to Grishnakh...Grishnakh's Good to You!"

                      Janet 8^)

                      What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                      > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                      >
                      > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                      There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                      appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                      Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                      Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                      original
                      Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                      Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                      or
                      1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                      albums
                      singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                      much.

                      Berni

                      <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to