Re: [mythsoc] That LotR Musical

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 28 , May 30, 2003
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: Stolzi@...
      Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 19:45:59 EDT
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] That LotR Musical

      << The son of the house says he has the darkest doubts about the music,
      having certain memories of a song by Leonard Nimoy...>>

      Running from the room, screaming "Get it out, get it out of my mind!"

      << I told him that I have a file of that song and threatened him with it. >>

      Boy, I'll bet he *behaves!*

      << Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list?>>

      No, no! It'll destroy the entire site! ---djb

      http://mail2web.com/ .
      Message 2 of 28 , May 30, 2003
        In a message dated 5/30/2003 7:46:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        lizziewriter@... writes:

        > OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
        > Shatner on amazon.com ?

        Or you might search under _Golden Throats_. I'm not sure if that series is
        still available, but it's an anthology of songs from albums by celebrities who
        should never have put out albums of their songs. Your reaction to it will
        depend on how much you care for "This is so bad that it's good" music.

      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 28 , May 30, 2003
          Lizzie -

          Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
          actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
          what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
          and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
          interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
          in a Audio Book however :-) .

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa

        • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 28 , May 30, 2003
            William Shatner started out in the very early 1990's writting a really bad
            series called Tek War. I read most of it because I didn't really know what
            was good or bad in science fiction at the time. Any way, for most of that
            series he cowrote with someone. I don't remember who though. He now writes
            mostly on his own, though from what I've heard there is exstensive editing.
            Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
            actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
            what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
            and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
            interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
            in a Audio Book however :-) .

            Mythically yours,
            Lisa

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

            >OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
            >Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
            >stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
            >compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
            >preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
              As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
              ghost wrote the books.

              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                In a message dated 6/1/2003 2:12:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                lunacy2@... writes:

                > As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                > ghost wrote the books.

                I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least did a lot of
                rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

              • Jack
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                  >I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                  >acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                  >assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least
                  >did a lot of
                  >rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                  Most, if not all, of William Shatner's Tek War books were written by Ron
                  Goulart.
                  Ron even adapted them to comic book format.

                  The television series was at least moderately well-done, but the novels are
                  not.

                  Now reading -- the ARC of de Lint's Spirits in the Wires

                • The Yeti !
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                    A quote from the UK Daily Mail :

                    "How will Christopher Tolkien .. greet the news that his father's
                    Lord of the Rings trilogy is to be turned into a 3 hour West End
                    musical ? JRR Tolkien sold the rights for £ 10000 in 1969. An
                    acquientance of Christopher says 'He's catatonic over the success of
                    the film and thinks *all* popular entertainment unutterably low'".

                    Yeti.

                    If this appears twice blame Yahell.
                  • Margaret Dean
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                      "Daniel B. Karpouzian" wrote:

                      > What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                      No, no, that's for CELEBORN! :D

                      --Margaret Dean
                      <margdean@...>
                    • Daniel B. Karpouzian
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                        What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                          "When You're Good to Grishnakh...Grishnakh's Good to You!"

                          Janet 8^)

                          What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                          > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                          >
                          > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                          There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                          appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                          Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                          Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                          original
                          Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                          Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                          or
                          1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                          albums
                          singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                          much.

                          Berni

                          <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to