Re: [mythsoc] That LotR Musical

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 28 , May 30, 2003
      As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
      controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone would
      want one... >>

      My best friend is a Trek fan from way back (most of my friends are -- we
      didn't get that channel when I was a kid). She had lots of neat fanzines
      but not this. Thanks Diamond for sharing it.

      << Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
      can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge. What
      got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album! Amazing
      what you can get away with if your tv show is popular. >>

      lol Market rules everything.

      By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
      includes the Bilbo song. >>

      OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
      Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
      stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
      compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
      preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 28 , May 30, 2003
        Message 3 of 28 , May 30, 2003
          In a message dated 5/30/2003 7:46:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          lizziewriter@... writes:

          > OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
          > Shatner on amazon.com ?

          Or you might search under _Golden Throats_. I'm not sure if that series is
          still available, but it's an anthology of songs from albums by celebrities who
          should never have put out albums of their songs. Your reaction to it will
          depend on how much you care for "This is so bad that it's good" music.

        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 28 , May 30, 2003
            Lizzie -

            Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
            actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
            what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
            and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
            interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
            in a Audio Book however :-) .

            Mythically yours,
            Lisa

          • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 28 , May 30, 2003
              William Shatner started out in the very early 1990's writting a really bad
              series called Tek War. I read most of it because I didn't really know what
              was good or bad in science fiction at the time. Any way, for most of that
              series he cowrote with someone. I don't remember who though. He now writes
              mostly on his own, though from what I've heard there is exstensive editing.
              Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
              actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
              what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
              and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
              interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
              in a Audio Book however :-) .

              Mythically yours,
              Lisa

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

              >OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
              >Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
              >stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
              >compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
              >preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                ghost wrote the books.

                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                  In a message dated 6/1/2003 2:12:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  lunacy2@... writes:

                  > As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                  > ghost wrote the books.

                  I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                  acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                  assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least did a lot of
                  rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                • Jack
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                    >I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                    >acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                    >assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least
                    >did a lot of
                    >rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                    Most, if not all, of William Shatner's Tek War books were written by Ron
                    Goulart.
                    Ron even adapted them to comic book format.

                    The television series was at least moderately well-done, but the novels are
                    not.

                    Now reading -- the ARC of de Lint's Spirits in the Wires

                  • The Yeti !
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                      A quote from the UK Daily Mail :

                      "How will Christopher Tolkien .. greet the news that his father's
                      Lord of the Rings trilogy is to be turned into a 3 hour West End
                      musical ? JRR Tolkien sold the rights for £ 10000 in 1969. An
                      acquientance of Christopher says 'He's catatonic over the success of
                      the film and thinks *all* popular entertainment unutterably low'".

                      Yeti.

                      If this appears twice blame Yahell.
                    • Margaret Dean
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                        "Daniel B. Karpouzian" wrote:

                        > What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                        No, no, that's for CELEBORN! :D

                        --Margaret Dean
                        <margdean@...>
                      • Daniel B. Karpouzian
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                          What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                            "When You're Good to Grishnakh...Grishnakh's Good to You!"

                            Janet 8^)

                            What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                            > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                            >
                            > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                            There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                            appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                            Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                            Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                            original
                            Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                            Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                            or
                            1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                            albums
                            singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                            much.

                            Berni

                            <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to