Re: [mythsoc] That LotR Musical

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 28 , May 29, 2003
      Hi Joan -

      As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
      controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone
      would want one...

      Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
      can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge.
      What got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album!
      Amazing what you can get away with if your tv show is popular.

      By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
      includes the Bilbo song.

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa

      Joan Marie Verba wrote:

      >I have Leonard Nimoy's album with the Bilbo Baggins song, too, by the
      >way.

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 28 , May 30, 2003
        As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
        controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone would
        want one... >>

        My best friend is a Trek fan from way back (most of my friends are -- we
        didn't get that channel when I was a kid). She had lots of neat fanzines
        but not this. Thanks Diamond for sharing it.

        << Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
        can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge. What
        got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album! Amazing
        what you can get away with if your tv show is popular. >>

        lol Market rules everything.

        By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
        includes the Bilbo song. >>

        OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
        Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
        stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
        compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
        preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 28 , May 30, 2003
          Message 4 of 28 , May 30, 2003
            In a message dated 5/30/2003 7:46:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            lizziewriter@... writes:

            > OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
            > Shatner on amazon.com ?

            Or you might search under _Golden Throats_. I'm not sure if that series is
            still available, but it's an anthology of songs from albums by celebrities who
            should never have put out albums of their songs. Your reaction to it will
            depend on how much you care for "This is so bad that it's good" music.

          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 28 , May 30, 2003
              Lizzie -

              Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
              actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
              what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
              and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
              interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
              in a Audio Book however :-) .

              Mythically yours,
              Lisa

            • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                William Shatner started out in the very early 1990's writting a really bad
                series called Tek War. I read most of it because I didn't really know what
                was good or bad in science fiction at the time. Any way, for most of that
                series he cowrote with someone. I don't remember who though. He now writes
                mostly on his own, though from what I've heard there is exstensive editing.
                Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
                actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
                what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
                and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
                interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
                in a Audio Book however :-) .

                Mythically yours,
                Lisa

                Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                >OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                >Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
                >stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
                >compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
                >preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Bill
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                  As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                  ghost wrote the books.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                    In a message dated 6/1/2003 2:12:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    lunacy2@... writes:

                    > As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                    > ghost wrote the books.

                    I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                    acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                    assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least did a lot of
                    rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                  • Jack
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                      >I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                      >acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                      >assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least
                      >did a lot of
                      >rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                      Most, if not all, of William Shatner's Tek War books were written by Ron
                      Goulart.
                      Ron even adapted them to comic book format.

                      The television series was at least moderately well-done, but the novels are
                      not.

                      Now reading -- the ARC of de Lint's Spirits in the Wires

                    • The Yeti !
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                        A quote from the UK Daily Mail :

                        "How will Christopher Tolkien .. greet the news that his father's
                        Lord of the Rings trilogy is to be turned into a 3 hour West End
                        musical ? JRR Tolkien sold the rights for £ 10000 in 1969. An
                        acquientance of Christopher says 'He's catatonic over the success of
                        the film and thinks *all* popular entertainment unutterably low'".

                        Yeti.

                        If this appears twice blame Yahell.
                      • Margaret Dean
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                          "Daniel B. Karpouzian" wrote:

                          > What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                          No, no, that's for CELEBORN! :D

                          --Margaret Dean
                          <margdean@...>
                        • Daniel B. Karpouzian
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                            What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                              "When You're Good to Grishnakh...Grishnakh's Good to You!"

                              Janet 8^)

                              What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                              > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                              >
                              > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                              There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                              appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                              Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                              Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                              original
                              Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                              Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                              or
                              1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                              albums
                              singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                              much.

                              Berni

                              <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to