That LotR Musical

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 28 , May 29, 2003
      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list?

      If you (or anyone) has a pointer to this, go ahead and post it. I'm wary
      of posting the entire tune, however, because the music industry has
      gotten fussy about such things since Napster.

      I have Leonard Nimoy's album with the Bilbo Baggins song, too, by the
      way.

      Joan
      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 28 , May 29, 2003
        Hi Joan -

        As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
        controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone
        would want one...

        Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
        can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge.
        What got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album!
        Amazing what you can get away with if your tv show is popular.

        By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
        includes the Bilbo song.

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa

        Joan Marie Verba wrote:

        >I have Leonard Nimoy's album with the Bilbo Baggins song, too, by the
        >way.

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 28 , May 30, 2003
          As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
          controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone would
          want one... >>

          My best friend is a Trek fan from way back (most of my friends are -- we
          didn't get that channel when I was a kid). She had lots of neat fanzines
          but not this. Thanks Diamond for sharing it.

          << Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
          can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge. What
          got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album! Amazing
          what you can get away with if your tv show is popular. >>

          lol Market rules everything.

          By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
          includes the Bilbo song. >>

          OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
          Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
          stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
          compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
          preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

          Lizzie Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 28 , May 30, 2003
            Message 5 of 28 , May 30, 2003
              In a message dated 5/30/2003 7:46:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              lizziewriter@... writes:

              > OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
              > Shatner on amazon.com ?

              Or you might search under _Golden Throats_. I'm not sure if that series is
              still available, but it's an anthology of songs from albums by celebrities who
              should never have put out albums of their songs. Your reaction to it will
              depend on how much you care for "This is so bad that it's good" music.

            • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
              Message 6 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                Lizzie -

                Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
                actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
                what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
                and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
                interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
                in a Audio Book however :-) .

                Mythically yours,
                Lisa

              • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                  William Shatner started out in the very early 1990's writting a really bad
                  series called Tek War. I read most of it because I didn't really know what
                  was good or bad in science fiction at the time. Any way, for most of that
                  series he cowrote with someone. I don't remember who though. He now writes
                  mostly on his own, though from what I've heard there is exstensive editing.
                  Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
                  actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
                  what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
                  and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
                  interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
                  in a Audio Book however :-) .

                  Mythically yours,
                  Lisa

                  Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                  >OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                  >Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
                  >stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
                  >compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
                  >preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                    As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                    ghost wrote the books.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                      In a message dated 6/1/2003 2:12:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      lunacy2@... writes:

                      > As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                      > ghost wrote the books.

                      I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                      acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                      assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least did a lot of
                      rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                    • Jack
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                        >I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                        >acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                        >assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least
                        >did a lot of
                        >rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                        Most, if not all, of William Shatner's Tek War books were written by Ron
                        Goulart.
                        Ron even adapted them to comic book format.

                        The television series was at least moderately well-done, but the novels are
                        not.

                        Now reading -- the ARC of de Lint's Spirits in the Wires

                      • The Yeti !
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                          A quote from the UK Daily Mail :

                          "How will Christopher Tolkien .. greet the news that his father's
                          Lord of the Rings trilogy is to be turned into a 3 hour West End
                          musical ? JRR Tolkien sold the rights for £ 10000 in 1969. An
                          acquientance of Christopher says 'He's catatonic over the success of
                          the film and thinks *all* popular entertainment unutterably low'".

                          Yeti.

                          If this appears twice blame Yahell.
                        • Margaret Dean
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                            "Daniel B. Karpouzian" wrote:

                            > What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                            No, no, that's for CELEBORN! :D

                            --Margaret Dean
                            <margdean@...>
                          • Daniel B. Karpouzian
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                              What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                                "When You're Good to Grishnakh...Grishnakh's Good to You!"

                                Janet 8^)

                                What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                                >
                                > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                                There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                                appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                                Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                                Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                                original
                                Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                                Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                                or
                                1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                                albums
                                singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                                much.

                                Berni

                                <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to