Re: [mythsoc] That LotR Musical

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 28 , May 29, 2003
      From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

      > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
      >
      > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

      There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
      appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
      Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

      Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before original
      Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
      Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967 or
      1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats" albums
      singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
      much.

      Berni
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 28 , May 29, 2003
        In a message dated 5/29/2003 8:45:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
        bernip@... writes:

        > Hey, this is great! Those who are going to the big bash in Britain in 2005
        > with the Tolkien Society can also go to the musical!

        How far ahead do you reckon we'd have to buy tickets?? :)

      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 28 , May 29, 2003
          Stolzi@... wrote:

          > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list?

          If you (or anyone) has a pointer to this, go ahead and post it. I'm wary
          of posting the entire tune, however, because the music industry has
          gotten fussy about such things since Napster.

          I have Leonard Nimoy's album with the Bilbo Baggins song, too, by the
          way.

          Joan
          Joan Marie Verba
          verba001@...
        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 28 , May 29, 2003
            Hi Joan -

            As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
            controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone
            would want one...

            Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
            can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge.
            What got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album!
            Amazing what you can get away with if your tv show is popular.

            By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
            includes the Bilbo song.

            Mythically yours,
            Lisa

            Joan Marie Verba wrote:

            >I have Leonard Nimoy's album with the Bilbo Baggins song, too, by the
            >way.

          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 28 , May 30, 2003
              As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
              controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone would
              want one... >>

              My best friend is a Trek fan from way back (most of my friends are -- we
              didn't get that channel when I was a kid). She had lots of neat fanzines
              but not this. Thanks Diamond for sharing it.

              << Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
              can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge. What
              got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album! Amazing
              what you can get away with if your tv show is popular. >>

              lol Market rules everything.

              By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
              includes the Bilbo song. >>

              OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
              Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
              stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
              compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
              preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

              Lizzie Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                Message 7 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                  In a message dated 5/30/2003 7:46:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  lizziewriter@... writes:

                  > OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                  > Shatner on amazon.com ?

                  Or you might search under _Golden Throats_. I'm not sure if that series is
                  still available, but it's an anthology of songs from albums by celebrities who
                  should never have put out albums of their songs. Your reaction to it will
                  depend on how much you care for "This is so bad that it's good" music.

                • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                    Lizzie -

                    Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
                    actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
                    what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
                    and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
                    interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
                    in a Audio Book however :-) .

                    Mythically yours,
                    Lisa

                  • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                      William Shatner started out in the very early 1990's writting a really bad
                      series called Tek War. I read most of it because I didn't really know what
                      was good or bad in science fiction at the time. Any way, for most of that
                      series he cowrote with someone. I don't remember who though. He now writes
                      mostly on his own, though from what I've heard there is exstensive editing.
                      Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
                      actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
                      what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
                      and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
                      interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
                      in a Audio Book however :-) .

                      Mythically yours,
                      Lisa

                      Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                      >OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                      >Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
                      >stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
                      >compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
                      >preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Bill
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                        As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                        ghost wrote the books.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                          In a message dated 6/1/2003 2:12:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                          lunacy2@... writes:

                          > As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                          > ghost wrote the books.

                          I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                          acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                          assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least did a lot of
                          rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                        • Jack
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                            >I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                            >acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                            >assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least
                            >did a lot of
                            >rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                            Most, if not all, of William Shatner's Tek War books were written by Ron
                            Goulart.
                            Ron even adapted them to comic book format.

                            The television series was at least moderately well-done, but the novels are
                            not.

                            Now reading -- the ARC of de Lint's Spirits in the Wires

                          • The Yeti !
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                              A quote from the UK Daily Mail :

                              "How will Christopher Tolkien .. greet the news that his father's
                              Lord of the Rings trilogy is to be turned into a 3 hour West End
                              musical ? JRR Tolkien sold the rights for £ 10000 in 1969. An
                              acquientance of Christopher says 'He's catatonic over the success of
                              the film and thinks *all* popular entertainment unutterably low'".

                              Yeti.

                              If this appears twice blame Yahell.
                            • Margaret Dean
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                                "Daniel B. Karpouzian" wrote:

                                > What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                No, no, that's for CELEBORN! :D

                                --Margaret Dean
                                <margdean@...>
                              • Daniel B. Karpouzian
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                                  What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                  > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                                  >
                                  > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                                  There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                                  appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                                  Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                                  Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                                  original
                                  Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                                  Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                                  or
                                  1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                                  albums
                                  singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                                  much.

                                  Berni

                                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                • Croft, Janet B
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                                    "When You're Good to Grishnakh...Grishnakh's Good to You!"

                                    Janet 8^)

                                    What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                    > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                                    >
                                    > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                                    There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                                    appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                                    Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                                    Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                                    original
                                    Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                                    Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                                    or
                                    1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                                    albums
                                    singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                                    much.

                                    Berni

                                    <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to