Re: [mythsoc] That LotR Musical

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 28 , May 29, 2003
      From: <Stolzi@...>

      >The epic story of Frodo's journey to Mordor will open in 2005 to >coincide
      >with the 50th anniversary of the publication of Tolkien's trilogy.

      Hey, this is great! Those who are going to the big bash in Britain in 2005
      with the Tolkien Society can also go to the musical!

      Berni
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 28 , May 29, 2003
        From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

        > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
        >
        > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

        There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
        appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
        Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

        Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before original
        Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
        Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967 or
        1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats" albums
        singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
        much.

        Berni
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 28 , May 29, 2003
          In a message dated 5/29/2003 8:45:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
          bernip@... writes:

          > Hey, this is great! Those who are going to the big bash in Britain in 2005
          > with the Tolkien Society can also go to the musical!

          How far ahead do you reckon we'd have to buy tickets?? :)

        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 28 , May 29, 2003
            Stolzi@... wrote:

            > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list?

            If you (or anyone) has a pointer to this, go ahead and post it. I'm wary
            of posting the entire tune, however, because the music industry has
            gotten fussy about such things since Napster.

            I have Leonard Nimoy's album with the Bilbo Baggins song, too, by the
            way.

            Joan
            Joan Marie Verba
            verba001@...
          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 28 , May 29, 2003
              Hi Joan -

              As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
              controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone
              would want one...

              Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
              can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge.
              What got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album!
              Amazing what you can get away with if your tv show is popular.

              By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
              includes the Bilbo song.

              Mythically yours,
              Lisa

              Joan Marie Verba wrote:

              >I have Leonard Nimoy's album with the Bilbo Baggins song, too, by the
              >way.

            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              Message 6 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
                controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone would
                want one... >>

                My best friend is a Trek fan from way back (most of my friends are -- we
                didn't get that channel when I was a kid). She had lots of neat fanzines
                but not this. Thanks Diamond for sharing it.

                << Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
                can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge. What
                got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album! Amazing
                what you can get away with if your tv show is popular. >>

                lol Market rules everything.

                By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
                includes the Bilbo song. >>

                OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
                stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
                compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
                preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

                Lizzie Triano
                lizziewriter@...
                amor vincit omnia
              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                    In a message dated 5/30/2003 7:46:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    lizziewriter@... writes:

                    > OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                    > Shatner on amazon.com ?

                    Or you might search under _Golden Throats_. I'm not sure if that series is
                    still available, but it's an anthology of songs from albums by celebrities who
                    should never have put out albums of their songs. Your reaction to it will
                    depend on how much you care for "This is so bad that it's good" music.

                  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                      Lizzie -

                      Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
                      actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
                      what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
                      and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
                      interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
                      in a Audio Book however :-) .

                      Mythically yours,
                      Lisa

                    • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                        William Shatner started out in the very early 1990's writting a really bad
                        series called Tek War. I read most of it because I didn't really know what
                        was good or bad in science fiction at the time. Any way, for most of that
                        series he cowrote with someone. I don't remember who though. He now writes
                        mostly on his own, though from what I've heard there is exstensive editing.
                        Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
                        actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
                        what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
                        and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
                        interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
                        in a Audio Book however :-) .

                        Mythically yours,
                        Lisa

                        Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                        >OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                        >Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
                        >stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
                        >compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
                        >preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Bill
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                          As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                          ghost wrote the books.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                            In a message dated 6/1/2003 2:12:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                            lunacy2@... writes:

                            > As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                            > ghost wrote the books.

                            I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                            acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                            assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least did a lot of
                            rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                          • Jack
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                              >I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                              >acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                              >assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least
                              >did a lot of
                              >rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                              Most, if not all, of William Shatner's Tek War books were written by Ron
                              Goulart.
                              Ron even adapted them to comic book format.

                              The television series was at least moderately well-done, but the novels are
                              not.

                              Now reading -- the ARC of de Lint's Spirits in the Wires

                            • The Yeti !
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                                A quote from the UK Daily Mail :

                                "How will Christopher Tolkien .. greet the news that his father's
                                Lord of the Rings trilogy is to be turned into a 3 hour West End
                                musical ? JRR Tolkien sold the rights for £ 10000 in 1969. An
                                acquientance of Christopher says 'He's catatonic over the success of
                                the film and thinks *all* popular entertainment unutterably low'".

                                Yeti.

                                If this appears twice blame Yahell.
                              • Margaret Dean
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                                  "Daniel B. Karpouzian" wrote:

                                  > What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                  No, no, that's for CELEBORN! :D

                                  --Margaret Dean
                                  <margdean@...>
                                • Daniel B. Karpouzian
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                                    What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                    > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                                    >
                                    > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                                    There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                                    appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                                    Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                                    Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                                    original
                                    Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                                    Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                                    or
                                    1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                                    albums
                                    singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                                    much.

                                    Berni

                                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                  • Croft, Janet B
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                                      "When You're Good to Grishnakh...Grishnakh's Good to You!"

                                      Janet 8^)

                                      What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                      > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                                      >
                                      > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                                      There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                                      appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                                      Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                                      Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                                      original
                                      Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                                      Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                                      or
                                      1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                                      albums
                                      singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                                      much.

                                      Berni

                                      <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to