Re: [mythsoc] That LotR Musical

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 28 , May 29, 2003
      No, no, no. Barbra STREISAND, silly. :-) >> corrected Susan

      Rrrrrrr noo. Too annoying.

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 28 , May 29, 2003
        From: <Stolzi@...>

        >The epic story of Frodo's journey to Mordor will open in 2005 to >coincide
        >with the 50th anniversary of the publication of Tolkien's trilogy.

        Hey, this is great! Those who are going to the big bash in Britain in 2005
        with the Tolkien Society can also go to the musical!

        Berni
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 28 , May 29, 2003
          From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

          > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
          >
          > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

          There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
          appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
          Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

          Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before original
          Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
          Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967 or
          1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats" albums
          singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
          much.

          Berni
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 28 , May 29, 2003
            In a message dated 5/29/2003 8:45:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
            bernip@... writes:

            > Hey, this is great! Those who are going to the big bash in Britain in 2005
            > with the Tolkien Society can also go to the musical!

            How far ahead do you reckon we'd have to buy tickets?? :)

          • Joan Marie Verba
            Message 5 of 28 , May 29, 2003
              Stolzi@... wrote:

              > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list?

              If you (or anyone) has a pointer to this, go ahead and post it. I'm wary
              of posting the entire tune, however, because the music industry has
              gotten fussy about such things since Napster.

              I have Leonard Nimoy's album with the Bilbo Baggins song, too, by the
              way.

              Joan
              Joan Marie Verba
              verba001@...
            • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
              Message 6 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                Hi Joan -

                As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
                controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone
                would want one...

                Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
                can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge.
                What got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album!
                Amazing what you can get away with if your tv show is popular.

                By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
                includes the Bilbo song.

                Mythically yours,
                Lisa

                Joan Marie Verba wrote:

                >I have Leonard Nimoy's album with the Bilbo Baggins song, too, by the
                >way.

              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                  As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
                  controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone would
                  want one... >>

                  My best friend is a Trek fan from way back (most of my friends are -- we
                  didn't get that channel when I was a kid). She had lots of neat fanzines
                  but not this. Thanks Diamond for sharing it.

                  << Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
                  can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge. What
                  got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album! Amazing
                  what you can get away with if your tv show is popular. >>

                  lol Market rules everything.

                  By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
                  includes the Bilbo song. >>

                  OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                  Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
                  stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
                  compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
                  preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

                  Lizzie Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia
                • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                      In a message dated 5/30/2003 7:46:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      lizziewriter@... writes:

                      > OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                      > Shatner on amazon.com ?

                      Or you might search under _Golden Throats_. I'm not sure if that series is
                      still available, but it's an anthology of songs from albums by celebrities who
                      should never have put out albums of their songs. Your reaction to it will
                      depend on how much you care for "This is so bad that it's good" music.

                    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                        Lizzie -

                        Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
                        actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
                        what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
                        and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
                        interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
                        in a Audio Book however :-) .

                        Mythically yours,
                        Lisa

                      • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                          William Shatner started out in the very early 1990's writting a really bad
                          series called Tek War. I read most of it because I didn't really know what
                          was good or bad in science fiction at the time. Any way, for most of that
                          series he cowrote with someone. I don't remember who though. He now writes
                          mostly on his own, though from what I've heard there is exstensive editing.
                          Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
                          actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
                          what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
                          and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
                          interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
                          in a Audio Book however :-) .

                          Mythically yours,
                          Lisa

                          Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                          >OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                          >Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
                          >stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
                          >compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
                          >preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Bill
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                            As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                            ghost wrote the books.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                              In a message dated 6/1/2003 2:12:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                              lunacy2@... writes:

                              > As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                              > ghost wrote the books.

                              I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                              acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                              assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least did a lot of
                              rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                            • Jack
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                                >I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                                >acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                                >assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least
                                >did a lot of
                                >rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                                Most, if not all, of William Shatner's Tek War books were written by Ron
                                Goulart.
                                Ron even adapted them to comic book format.

                                The television series was at least moderately well-done, but the novels are
                                not.

                                Now reading -- the ARC of de Lint's Spirits in the Wires

                              • The Yeti !
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                                  A quote from the UK Daily Mail :

                                  "How will Christopher Tolkien .. greet the news that his father's
                                  Lord of the Rings trilogy is to be turned into a 3 hour West End
                                  musical ? JRR Tolkien sold the rights for £ 10000 in 1969. An
                                  acquientance of Christopher says 'He's catatonic over the success of
                                  the film and thinks *all* popular entertainment unutterably low'".

                                  Yeti.

                                  If this appears twice blame Yahell.
                                • Margaret Dean
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                                    "Daniel B. Karpouzian" wrote:

                                    > What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                    No, no, that's for CELEBORN! :D

                                    --Margaret Dean
                                    <margdean@...>
                                  • Daniel B. Karpouzian
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                                      What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                      > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                                      >
                                      > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                                      There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                                      appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                                      Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                                      Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                                      original
                                      Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                                      Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                                      or
                                      1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                                      albums
                                      singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                                      much.

                                      Berni

                                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                    • Croft, Janet B
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                                        "When You're Good to Grishnakh...Grishnakh's Good to You!"

                                        Janet 8^)

                                        What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                        > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                                        >
                                        > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                                        There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                                        appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                                        Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                                        Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                                        original
                                        Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                                        Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                                        or
                                        1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                                        albums
                                        singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                                        much.

                                        Berni

                                        <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                                        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to