Re: [mythsoc] That LotR Musical

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , May 29, 2003
      The son of the house says he has the darkest doubts about the music, having
      certain memories of a song by Leonard Nimoy...

      I told him that I have a file of that song and threatened him with it.

      Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list?

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 28 , May 29, 2003
        More (I regret to say)

        West End to stage £8m 'Lord of the Rings' musical
        By Sally Pook
        (Filed: 29/05/2003)

        The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien's dark tale of Middle Earth, is to be brought
        to the West End in the most expensive stage musical ever seen in London.

        The epic story of Frodo's journey to Mordor will open in 2005 to coincide
        with the 50th anniversary of the publication of Tolkien's trilogy.

        Kevin Wallace, whose idea it was to bring the masterpiece to the stage, said
        yesterday that the audience would "smile with pleasure" at the ways in which
        the show will recreate some of the more challenging aspects of the books, from
        the complex battle scenes to the dark Lord Sauron.

        "It will have the epic scale of something like The Lion King as well as the
        intellectual rigour of a piece of classical theatre."

        etc etc

        <A HREF="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;$sessionid$C5N3RXAI2BVYBQFIQMFSFF4AVCBQ0IV0?xml=%2Fnews%2F2003%2F05%2F29%2Fnring29.xml&sSheet=%2Fnews%2F2003%2F05%2F29%2Fixhome.html">Telegraph | News | West End to stage £8m 'Lord of the Rings' musical</A>

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 28 , May 29, 2003
          Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>

          Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

          And the LOTR musical will be big, big budget? That is quite a statement,
          isn't it? I don't know a lot about stage productions but I know some can
          run into money (Aida with the elephants... ).

          Lizzie Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 28 , May 29, 2003
            No, no, no. Barbra STREISAND, silly. :-) >> corrected Susan

            Rrrrrrr noo. Too annoying.

            Lizzie Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 28 , May 29, 2003
              From: <Stolzi@...>

              >The epic story of Frodo's journey to Mordor will open in 2005 to >coincide
              >with the 50th anniversary of the publication of Tolkien's trilogy.

              Hey, this is great! Those who are going to the big bash in Britain in 2005
              with the Tolkien Society can also go to the musical!

              Berni
            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

                > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                >
                > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before original
                Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967 or
                1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats" albums
                singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                much.

                Berni
              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                  In a message dated 5/29/2003 8:45:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  bernip@... writes:

                  > Hey, this is great! Those who are going to the big bash in Britain in 2005
                  > with the Tolkien Society can also go to the musical!

                  How far ahead do you reckon we'd have to buy tickets?? :)

                • Joan Marie Verba
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                    Stolzi@... wrote:

                    > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list?

                    If you (or anyone) has a pointer to this, go ahead and post it. I'm wary
                    of posting the entire tune, however, because the music industry has
                    gotten fussy about such things since Napster.

                    I have Leonard Nimoy's album with the Bilbo Baggins song, too, by the
                    way.

                    Joan
                    Joan Marie Verba
                    verba001@...
                  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                      Hi Joan -

                      As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
                      controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone
                      would want one...

                      Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
                      can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge.
                      What got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album!
                      Amazing what you can get away with if your tv show is popular.

                      By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
                      includes the Bilbo song.

                      Mythically yours,
                      Lisa

                      Joan Marie Verba wrote:

                      >I have Leonard Nimoy's album with the Bilbo Baggins song, too, by the
                      >way.

                    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                        As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
                        controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone would
                        want one... >>

                        My best friend is a Trek fan from way back (most of my friends are -- we
                        didn't get that channel when I was a kid). She had lots of neat fanzines
                        but not this. Thanks Diamond for sharing it.

                        << Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
                        can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge. What
                        got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album! Amazing
                        what you can get away with if your tv show is popular. >>

                        lol Market rules everything.

                        By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
                        includes the Bilbo song. >>

                        OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                        Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
                        stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
                        compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
                        preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

                        Lizzie Triano
                        lizziewriter@...
                        amor vincit omnia
                      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                          << The son of the house says he has the darkest doubts about the music,
                          having certain memories of a song by Leonard Nimoy...>>

                          Running from the room, screaming "Get it out, get it out of my mind!"

                          << I told him that I have a file of that song and threatened him with it. >>

                          Boy, I'll bet he *behaves!*

                          << Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list?>>

                          No, no! It'll destroy the entire site! ---djb

                          http://mail2web.com/ .
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                            In a message dated 5/30/2003 7:46:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                            lizziewriter@... writes:

                            > OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                            > Shatner on amazon.com ?

                            Or you might search under _Golden Throats_. I'm not sure if that series is
                            still available, but it's an anthology of songs from albums by celebrities who
                            should never have put out albums of their songs. Your reaction to it will
                            depend on how much you care for "This is so bad that it's good" music.

                          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                              Lizzie -

                              Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
                              actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
                              what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
                              and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
                              interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
                              in a Audio Book however :-) .

                              Mythically yours,
                              Lisa

                            • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                                William Shatner started out in the very early 1990's writting a really bad
                                series called Tek War. I read most of it because I didn't really know what
                                was good or bad in science fiction at the time. Any way, for most of that
                                series he cowrote with someone. I don't remember who though. He now writes
                                mostly on his own, though from what I've heard there is exstensive editing.
                                Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
                                actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
                                what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
                                and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
                                interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
                                in a Audio Book however :-) .

                                Mythically yours,
                                Lisa

                                Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                                >OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                                >Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
                                >stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
                                >compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
                                >preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • Bill
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                                  As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                                  ghost wrote the books.

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                                    In a message dated 6/1/2003 2:12:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                    lunacy2@... writes:

                                    > As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                                    > ghost wrote the books.

                                    I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                                    acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                                    assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least did a lot of
                                    rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                                  • Jack
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                                      >I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                                      >acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                                      >assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least
                                      >did a lot of
                                      >rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                                      Most, if not all, of William Shatner's Tek War books were written by Ron
                                      Goulart.
                                      Ron even adapted them to comic book format.

                                      The television series was at least moderately well-done, but the novels are
                                      not.

                                      Now reading -- the ARC of de Lint's Spirits in the Wires

                                    • The Yeti !
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                                        A quote from the UK Daily Mail :

                                        "How will Christopher Tolkien .. greet the news that his father's
                                        Lord of the Rings trilogy is to be turned into a 3 hour West End
                                        musical ? JRR Tolkien sold the rights for £ 10000 in 1969. An
                                        acquientance of Christopher says 'He's catatonic over the success of
                                        the film and thinks *all* popular entertainment unutterably low'".

                                        Yeti.

                                        If this appears twice blame Yahell.
                                      • Margaret Dean
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                                          "Daniel B. Karpouzian" wrote:

                                          > What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                          No, no, that's for CELEBORN! :D

                                          --Margaret Dean
                                          <margdean@...>
                                        • Daniel B. Karpouzian
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                                            What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                            > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                                            >
                                            > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                                            There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                                            appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                                            Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                                            Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                                            original
                                            Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                                            Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                                            or
                                            1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                                            albums
                                            singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                                            much.

                                            Berni

                                            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                          • Croft, Janet B
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                                              "When You're Good to Grishnakh...Grishnakh's Good to You!"

                                              Janet 8^)

                                              What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                              > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                                              >
                                              > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                                              There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                                              appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                                              Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                                              Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                                              original
                                              Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                                              Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                                              or
                                              1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                                              albums
                                              singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                                              much.

                                              Berni

                                              <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                                              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to