RE: [mythsoc] That LotR Musical

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 28 , May 29, 2003
      Well, a *parody* would be fun. Gollum singing "Memories"? Sam and Frodo
      in
      Mordor yodelling, "The sun'll come out tomorrow"? Aragorn and Arwen
      singing
      "What Do the Simple Folk Do"? Grishnakh singing "When You're An Orc,
      You're An
      Orc All the Way"? The possibilities are endless! :-)

      Haven't you heard that catchy little tune, "Where There's a Whip There's a
      Way" sung by the orcs in the older animated Return of the King flick?

      I suspect there are strong opinions on both sides of the "Should Enya Sing
      the Part of Luthien Tinuviel" theoretical argument. I think I will go dig
      my foxhole now in fact.

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 28 , May 29, 2003
        << Well, a *parody* would be fun.  Gollum singing "Memories"?  Sam and
        Frodo in Mordor yodelling, "The sun'll come out tomorrow"?  Aragorn and
        Arwen singing "What Do the Simple Folk Do"?  Grishnakh singing "When You're
        An Orc, You're An Orc All the Way"?  The possibilities are endless!  :-)  >>

        Gollum singing "Me and My precioussss," (add a little soft-shoe), Bilbo
        rapping "Give it to me, Frodo (ah, ah, ah, ah!)," Gandalf with "Come on
        Balrog, light my fire" and Saruman singing "Shades of Grey." URK!

        OTOH, Joss Whedon might be available, since he did such a fun "Buffy"
        musical....! ---djb

        Message 3 of 28 , May 29, 2003
          In a message dated 5/29/2003 12:07:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          lizziewriter@... writes:

          > I suspect there are strong opinions on both sides of the "Should Enya Sing
          > the Part of Luthien Tinuviel" theoretical argument.

          No, no, no. Barbra STREISAND, silly. :-)

          Susan

        • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 28 , May 29, 2003
            You know, I think he might be just a little too talented. I really liked
            the Buffy musical, I bought the sound track. I'm sure Rosie O'Donnel could
            produce it though
            OTOH, Joss Whedon might be available, since he did such a fun "Buffy"
            musical....! ---djb

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 28 , May 29, 2003
              The son of the house says he has the darkest doubts about the music, having
              certain memories of a song by Leonard Nimoy...

              I told him that I have a file of that song and threatened him with it.

              Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list?

              Diamond Proudbrook

            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                More (I regret to say)

                West End to stage £8m 'Lord of the Rings' musical
                By Sally Pook
                (Filed: 29/05/2003)

                The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien's dark tale of Middle Earth, is to be brought
                to the West End in the most expensive stage musical ever seen in London.

                The epic story of Frodo's journey to Mordor will open in 2005 to coincide
                with the 50th anniversary of the publication of Tolkien's trilogy.

                Kevin Wallace, whose idea it was to bring the masterpiece to the stage, said
                yesterday that the audience would "smile with pleasure" at the ways in which
                the show will recreate some of the more challenging aspects of the books, from
                the complex battle scenes to the dark Lord Sauron.

                "It will have the epic scale of something like The Lion King as well as the
                intellectual rigour of a piece of classical theatre."

                etc etc

                <A HREF="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;$sessionid$C5N3RXAI2BVYBQFIQMFSFF4AVCBQ0IV0?xml=%2Fnews%2F2003%2F05%2F29%2Fnring29.xml&sSheet=%2Fnews%2F2003%2F05%2F29%2Fixhome.html">Telegraph | News | West End to stage £8m 'Lord of the Rings' musical</A>

              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                  Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>

                  Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                  And the LOTR musical will be big, big budget? That is quite a statement,
                  isn't it? I don't know a lot about stage productions but I know some can
                  run into money (Aida with the elephants... ).

                  Lizzie Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia
                • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                    No, no, no. Barbra STREISAND, silly. :-) >> corrected Susan

                    Rrrrrrr noo. Too annoying.

                    Lizzie Triano
                    lizziewriter@...
                    amor vincit omnia
                  • Berni Phillips
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                      From: <Stolzi@...>

                      >The epic story of Frodo's journey to Mordor will open in 2005 to >coincide
                      >with the 50th anniversary of the publication of Tolkien's trilogy.

                      Hey, this is great! Those who are going to the big bash in Britain in 2005
                      with the Tolkien Society can also go to the musical!

                      Berni
                    • Berni Phillips
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                        From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

                        > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                        >
                        > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                        There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                        appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                        Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                        Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before original
                        Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                        Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967 or
                        1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats" albums
                        singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                        much.

                        Berni
                      • Stolzi@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                          In a message dated 5/29/2003 8:45:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
                          bernip@... writes:

                          > Hey, this is great! Those who are going to the big bash in Britain in 2005
                          > with the Tolkien Society can also go to the musical!

                          How far ahead do you reckon we'd have to buy tickets?? :)

                        • Joan Marie Verba
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                            Stolzi@... wrote:

                            > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list?

                            If you (or anyone) has a pointer to this, go ahead and post it. I'm wary
                            of posting the entire tune, however, because the music industry has
                            gotten fussy about such things since Napster.

                            I have Leonard Nimoy's album with the Bilbo Baggins song, too, by the
                            way.

                            Joan
                            Joan Marie Verba
                            verba001@...
                          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                              Hi Joan -

                              As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
                              controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone
                              would want one...

                              Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
                              can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge.
                              What got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album!
                              Amazing what you can get away with if your tv show is popular.

                              By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
                              includes the Bilbo song.

                              Mythically yours,
                              Lisa

                              Joan Marie Verba wrote:

                              >I have Leonard Nimoy's album with the Bilbo Baggins song, too, by the
                              >way.

                            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                                As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
                                controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone would
                                want one... >>

                                My best friend is a Trek fan from way back (most of my friends are -- we
                                didn't get that channel when I was a kid). She had lots of neat fanzines
                                but not this. Thanks Diamond for sharing it.

                                << Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
                                can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge. What
                                got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album! Amazing
                                what you can get away with if your tv show is popular. >>

                                lol Market rules everything.

                                By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
                                includes the Bilbo song. >>

                                OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                                Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
                                stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
                                compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
                                preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

                                Lizzie Triano
                                lizziewriter@...
                                amor vincit omnia
                              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                                Message 15 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                                  << The son of the house says he has the darkest doubts about the music,
                                  having certain memories of a song by Leonard Nimoy...>>

                                  Running from the room, screaming "Get it out, get it out of my mind!"

                                  << I told him that I have a file of that song and threatened him with it. >>

                                  Boy, I'll bet he *behaves!*

                                  << Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list?>>

                                  No, no! It'll destroy the entire site! ---djb

                                  http://mail2web.com/ .
                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                                    In a message dated 5/30/2003 7:46:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                    lizziewriter@... writes:

                                    > OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                                    > Shatner on amazon.com ?

                                    Or you might search under _Golden Throats_. I'm not sure if that series is
                                    still available, but it's an anthology of songs from albums by celebrities who
                                    should never have put out albums of their songs. Your reaction to it will
                                    depend on how much you care for "This is so bad that it's good" music.

                                  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                                      Lizzie -

                                      Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
                                      actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
                                      what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
                                      and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
                                      interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
                                      in a Audio Book however :-) .

                                      Mythically yours,
                                      Lisa

                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                                        William Shatner started out in the very early 1990's writting a really bad
                                        series called Tek War. I read most of it because I didn't really know what
                                        was good or bad in science fiction at the time. Any way, for most of that
                                        series he cowrote with someone. I don't remember who though. He now writes
                                        mostly on his own, though from what I've heard there is exstensive editing.
                                        Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
                                        actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
                                        what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
                                        and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
                                        interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
                                        in a Audio Book however :-) .

                                        Mythically yours,
                                        Lisa

                                        Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                                        >OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                                        >Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
                                        >stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
                                        >compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
                                        >preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      • Bill
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                                          As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                                          ghost wrote the books.

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                                            In a message dated 6/1/2003 2:12:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                            lunacy2@... writes:

                                            > As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                                            > ghost wrote the books.

                                            I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                                            acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                                            assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least did a lot of
                                            rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                                          • Jack
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                                              >I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                                              >acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                                              >assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least
                                              >did a lot of
                                              >rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                                              Most, if not all, of William Shatner's Tek War books were written by Ron
                                              Goulart.
                                              Ron even adapted them to comic book format.

                                              The television series was at least moderately well-done, but the novels are
                                              not.

                                              Now reading -- the ARC of de Lint's Spirits in the Wires

                                            • The Yeti !
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jun 1, 2003
                                                A quote from the UK Daily Mail :

                                                "How will Christopher Tolkien .. greet the news that his father's
                                                Lord of the Rings trilogy is to be turned into a 3 hour West End
                                                musical ? JRR Tolkien sold the rights for £ 10000 in 1969. An
                                                acquientance of Christopher says 'He's catatonic over the success of
                                                the film and thinks *all* popular entertainment unutterably low'".

                                                Yeti.

                                                If this appears twice blame Yahell.
                                              • Margaret Dean
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                                                  "Daniel B. Karpouzian" wrote:

                                                  > What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                                  No, no, that's for CELEBORN! :D

                                                  --Margaret Dean
                                                  <margdean@...>
                                                • Daniel B. Karpouzian
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                                                    What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                                    > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                                                    >
                                                    > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                                                    There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                                                    appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                                                    Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                                                    Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                                                    original
                                                    Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                                                    Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                                                    or
                                                    1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                                                    albums
                                                    singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                                                    much.

                                                    Berni

                                                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                                  • Croft, Janet B
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jun 11, 2003
                                                      "When You're Good to Grishnakh...Grishnakh's Good to You!"

                                                      Janet 8^)

                                                      What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                                      > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                                                      >
                                                      > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                                                      There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                                                      appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                                                      Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                                                      Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                                                      original
                                                      Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                                                      Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                                                      or
                                                      1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                                                      albums
                                                      singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                                                      much.

                                                      Berni

                                                      <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                                                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to