Re: [mythsoc] That LotR Musical

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , May 29, 2003
      I just thought of another: "Lorien" sung to the tune of "Bali-hai," or
      however you spell that thing from South Pacific.

      All right, I'll stop now. :-)

      Susan

    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 28 , May 29, 2003
        At 10:29 AM 5/29/2003 , Susan wrote:
        >Well, a *parody* would be fun.

        This classic is my favorite:

        Give my regards to Orthanc
        Remember me to Barad-dur
        Tell all the boys at old Nan-Curunir
        That I'll be there for sure
        Whisper of how I'm yearning
        To mingle with the Morgul throng
        Give my regards to Shelob's Lair
        And tell her I'll be there ere long!
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 28 , May 29, 2003
          Well, a *parody* would be fun. Gollum singing "Memories"? Sam and Frodo
          in
          Mordor yodelling, "The sun'll come out tomorrow"? Aragorn and Arwen
          singing
          "What Do the Simple Folk Do"? Grishnakh singing "When You're An Orc,
          You're An
          Orc All the Way"? The possibilities are endless! :-)

          Haven't you heard that catchy little tune, "Where There's a Whip There's a
          Way" sung by the orcs in the older animated Return of the King flick?

          I suspect there are strong opinions on both sides of the "Should Enya Sing
          the Part of Luthien Tinuviel" theoretical argument. I think I will go dig
          my foxhole now in fact.

          Lizzie Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 28 , May 29, 2003
            << Well, a *parody* would be fun.  Gollum singing "Memories"?  Sam and
            Frodo in Mordor yodelling, "The sun'll come out tomorrow"?  Aragorn and
            Arwen singing "What Do the Simple Folk Do"?  Grishnakh singing "When You're
            An Orc, You're An Orc All the Way"?  The possibilities are endless!  :-)  >>

            Gollum singing "Me and My precioussss," (add a little soft-shoe), Bilbo
            rapping "Give it to me, Frodo (ah, ah, ah, ah!)," Gandalf with "Come on
            Balrog, light my fire" and Saruman singing "Shades of Grey." URK!

            OTOH, Joss Whedon might be available, since he did such a fun "Buffy"
            musical....! ---djb

            Message 5 of 28 , May 29, 2003
              In a message dated 5/29/2003 12:07:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              lizziewriter@... writes:

              > I suspect there are strong opinions on both sides of the "Should Enya Sing
              > the Part of Luthien Tinuviel" theoretical argument.

              No, no, no. Barbra STREISAND, silly. :-)

              Susan

            • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                You know, I think he might be just a little too talented. I really liked
                the Buffy musical, I bought the sound track. I'm sure Rosie O'Donnel could
                produce it though
                OTOH, Joss Whedon might be available, since he did such a fun "Buffy"
                musical....! ---djb

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                  The son of the house says he has the darkest doubts about the music, having
                  certain memories of a song by Leonard Nimoy...

                  I told him that I have a file of that song and threatened him with it.

                  Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list?

                  Diamond Proudbrook

                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                    More (I regret to say)

                    West End to stage £8m 'Lord of the Rings' musical
                    By Sally Pook
                    (Filed: 29/05/2003)

                    The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien's dark tale of Middle Earth, is to be brought
                    to the West End in the most expensive stage musical ever seen in London.

                    The epic story of Frodo's journey to Mordor will open in 2005 to coincide
                    with the 50th anniversary of the publication of Tolkien's trilogy.

                    Kevin Wallace, whose idea it was to bring the masterpiece to the stage, said
                    yesterday that the audience would "smile with pleasure" at the ways in which
                    the show will recreate some of the more challenging aspects of the books, from
                    the complex battle scenes to the dark Lord Sauron.

                    "It will have the epic scale of something like The Lion King as well as the
                    intellectual rigour of a piece of classical theatre."

                    etc etc

                    <A HREF="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;$sessionid$C5N3RXAI2BVYBQFIQMFSFF4AVCBQ0IV0?xml=%2Fnews%2F2003%2F05%2F29%2Fnring29.xml&sSheet=%2Fnews%2F2003%2F05%2F29%2Fixhome.html">Telegraph | News | West End to stage £8m 'Lord of the Rings' musical</A>

                  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                      Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>

                      Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                      And the LOTR musical will be big, big budget? That is quite a statement,
                      isn't it? I don't know a lot about stage productions but I know some can
                      run into money (Aida with the elephants... ).

                      Lizzie Triano
                      lizziewriter@...
                      amor vincit omnia
                    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                        No, no, no. Barbra STREISAND, silly. :-) >> corrected Susan

                        Rrrrrrr noo. Too annoying.

                        Lizzie Triano
                        lizziewriter@...
                        amor vincit omnia
                      • Berni Phillips
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                          From: <Stolzi@...>

                          >The epic story of Frodo's journey to Mordor will open in 2005 to >coincide
                          >with the 50th anniversary of the publication of Tolkien's trilogy.

                          Hey, this is great! Those who are going to the big bash in Britain in 2005
                          with the Tolkien Society can also go to the musical!

                          Berni
                        • Berni Phillips
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                            From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

                            > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                            >
                            > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                            There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                            appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                            Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                            Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before original
                            Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                            Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967 or
                            1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats" albums
                            singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                            much.

                            Berni
                          • Stolzi@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                              In a message dated 5/29/2003 8:45:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
                              bernip@... writes:

                              > Hey, this is great! Those who are going to the big bash in Britain in 2005
                              > with the Tolkien Society can also go to the musical!

                              How far ahead do you reckon we'd have to buy tickets?? :)

                            • Joan Marie Verba
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                                Stolzi@... wrote:

                                > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list?

                                If you (or anyone) has a pointer to this, go ahead and post it. I'm wary
                                of posting the entire tune, however, because the music industry has
                                gotten fussy about such things since Napster.

                                I have Leonard Nimoy's album with the Bilbo Baggins song, too, by the
                                way.

                                Joan
                                Joan Marie Verba
                                verba001@...
                              • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                                Message 15 of 28 , May 29, 2003
                                  Hi Joan -

                                  As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
                                  controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone
                                  would want one...

                                  Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
                                  can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge.
                                  What got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album!
                                  Amazing what you can get away with if your tv show is popular.

                                  By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
                                  includes the Bilbo song.

                                  Mythically yours,
                                  Lisa

                                  Joan Marie Verba wrote:

                                  >I have Leonard Nimoy's album with the Bilbo Baggins song, too, by the
                                  >way.

                                • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                                    As a certified Trek Fan (notice how I avoid the Trekkie/Trekker
                                    controversy), I should hope you would have a copy. Though why anyone would
                                    want one... >>

                                    My best friend is a Trek fan from way back (most of my friends are -- we
                                    didn't get that channel when I was a kid). She had lots of neat fanzines
                                    but not this. Thanks Diamond for sharing it.

                                    << Nimoy is many things, a singer is not one of them. Then again neither
                                    can Shatner. I never could figure those two out on the singing urge. What
                                    got me is that they were allowed to release more than one album! Amazing
                                    what you can get away with if your tv show is popular. >>

                                    lol Market rules everything.

                                    By the by, a compilation of the two of them is available on CD. It
                                    includes the Bilbo song. >>

                                    OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                                    Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
                                    stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
                                    compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
                                    preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

                                    Lizzie Triano
                                    lizziewriter@...
                                    amor vincit omnia
                                  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                                      << The son of the house says he has the darkest doubts about the music,
                                      having certain memories of a song by Leonard Nimoy...>>

                                      Running from the room, screaming "Get it out, get it out of my mind!"

                                      << I told him that I have a file of that song and threatened him with it. >>

                                      Boy, I'll bet he *behaves!*

                                      << Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list?>>

                                      No, no! It'll destroy the entire site! ---djb

                                      http://mail2web.com/ .
                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                                        In a message dated 5/30/2003 7:46:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                        lizziewriter@... writes:

                                        > OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                                        > Shatner on amazon.com ?

                                        Or you might search under _Golden Throats_. I'm not sure if that series is
                                        still available, but it's an anthology of songs from albums by celebrities who
                                        should never have put out albums of their songs. Your reaction to it will
                                        depend on how much you care for "This is so bad that it's good" music.

                                      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                                          Lizzie -

                                          Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
                                          actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
                                          what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
                                          and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
                                          interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
                                          in a Audio Book however :-) .

                                          Mythically yours,
                                          Lisa

                                          Message 20 of 28 , May 30, 2003
                                            William Shatner started out in the very early 1990's writting a really bad
                                            series called Tek War. I read most of it because I didn't really know what
                                            was good or bad in science fiction at the time. Any way, for most of that
                                            series he cowrote with someone. I don't remember who though. He now writes
                                            mostly on his own, though from what I've heard there is exstensive editing.
                                            Searching under Nimoy was how I found it at Amazon (a process that is
                                            actually entertaining). I also did a search under Shatner just to see
                                            what he is up to these days. He "writes" SF. Not sure how much is him
                                            and how much is ghost writer. I have heard that he can dream up
                                            interesting ideas, so he is involved. Not sure I want his reading style
                                            in a Audio Book however :-) .

                                            Mythically yours,
                                            Lisa

                                            Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                                            >OK this is why I am posting... can I just search for that under Nimoy
                                            >Shatner on amazon.com ? If the rest of the tape is as silly and has
                                            >stories like the Bilbo song, I wouldn't mind having it in the car to
                                            >compete with the other kid music that has to share airtime with my
                                            >preferences. (Then again, I am really not fond of Shatner ...)

                                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                          • Bill
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 1 11:09 AM
                                              As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                                              ghost wrote the books.

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jun 1 2:26 PM
                                                In a message dated 6/1/2003 2:12:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                                lunacy2@... writes:

                                                > As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rumor was Ron Goulart
                                                > ghost wrote the books.

                                                I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                                                acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                                                assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least did a lot of
                                                rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                                              • Jack
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jun 1 2:38 PM
                                                  >I just checked _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ and it says that in the
                                                  >acknowledgments for the Tek books, Shatner thanks Ron Goulart for his
                                                  >assistance. Usually that sort of statement means that Goulart at least
                                                  >did a lot of
                                                  >rewriting and may have indeed have ghostwritten the books.

                                                  Most, if not all, of William Shatner's Tek War books were written by Ron
                                                  Goulart.
                                                  Ron even adapted them to comic book format.

                                                  The television series was at least moderately well-done, but the novels are
                                                  not.

                                                  Now reading -- the ARC of de Lint's Spirits in the Wires

                                                • The Yeti !
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jun 1 7:17 PM
                                                    A quote from the UK Daily Mail :

                                                    "How will Christopher Tolkien .. greet the news that his father's
                                                    Lord of the Rings trilogy is to be turned into a 3 hour West End
                                                    musical ? JRR Tolkien sold the rights for £ 10000 in 1969. An
                                                    acquientance of Christopher says 'He's catatonic over the success of
                                                    the film and thinks *all* popular entertainment unutterably low'".

                                                    Yeti.

                                                    If this appears twice blame Yahell.
                                                  • Margaret Dean
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jun 11 10:26 AM
                                                      "Daniel B. Karpouzian" wrote:

                                                      > What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                                      No, no, that's for CELEBORN! :D

                                                      --Margaret Dean
                                                      <margdean@...>
                                                    • Daniel B. Karpouzian
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jun 11 11:17 AM
                                                        What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                                        > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                                                        >
                                                        > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                                                        There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                                                        appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                                                        Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                                                        Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                                                        original
                                                        Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                                                        Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                                                        or
                                                        1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                                                        albums
                                                        singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                                                        much.

                                                        Berni

                                                        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                                      • Croft, Janet B
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jun 11 11:24 AM
                                                          "When You're Good to Grishnakh...Grishnakh's Good to You!"

                                                          Janet 8^)

                                                          What about for Frodo, "Mr. Cellophane" from "Chicago"?

                                                          > Hmmmmmm...Should I upload it to the "files" area of this list? >>
                                                          >
                                                          > Oh yes please! When did Nimoy ever do a song?

                                                          There's a video of it that's been all over the net. Judging from the
                                                          appearance of his "dancers," I'd say it's from around 1970. It's about
                                                          Bilbo Baggins and is really, really bad.

                                                          Nimoy also has had at least one album out. I think it was before
                                                          original
                                                          Trek went off the air that Nimoy released "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer
                                                          Space." I think I bought it in 7th grade, which would have made it 1967
                                                          or
                                                          1968. He sings on that. He's also on one of the "Golden Throats"
                                                          albums
                                                          singing "Proud Mary." He's not as bad as Shatner, but that's not saying
                                                          much.

                                                          Berni

                                                          <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                                                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to