'Lord of the 'Rings' Musical Planned for UK Stage

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2003
      <A HREF="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=801&ncid=762&e=10&u=/nm/20030528/stage_nm/leisure_britain_rings_dc">Click here: Yahoo! News - 'Lord of the 'Rings' Musical Planned for UK Stage</A>

      LONDON (Reuters) - Hobbits, dwarves and elves are heading for the London
      stage in the world's first major musical of the "Lord of the Rings," its backers
      said on Wednesday.
      West End producer Kevin Wallace said the reworking of British author JRR
      Tolkien's fantasy epic will cost $13 million. "It will stimulate audiences'
      imaginations in a way they've never felt before," he told Reuters. A cast of 50,
      lavish sets and a full orchestra will help recreate Middle Earth, the mystical
      setting for the swords and sorcery trilogy. The show will be co-produced by Saul
      Zaentz, the veteran Hollywood producer behind "The English Patient" and "One
      Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest."

      No, no, please, God, no.

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 2 , May 29, 2003
        From: <Stolzi@...>

        > <A
        HREF="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=801&ncid=762&e=10&u=/n
        m/20030528/stage_nm/leisure_britain_rings_dc">Click here: Yahoo! News -
        'Lord of the 'Rings' Musical Planned for UK Stage</A>

        > LONDON (Reuters) - Hobbits, dwarves and elves are heading for the London
        > stage in the world's first major musical of the "Lord of the Rings," its
        backers
        > said on Wednesday.
        >
        > No, no, please, God, no.

        Hey, _Wicked_ (based on the Maguire book) is playing as a musical in San
        Francisco as I type. It stars Kristen Chenoweth (Marion the Librarian in
        the recently televised "Music Man") and someone I can't remember but who is
        a brunette, so I assume Ms. Chenoweth is Glinda and the other woman is the
        wicked witch.

        Berni