Re: Tolkien and 'daughter', 'little milker'

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2003
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Margaret Dean <margdean@e...> wrote:

      > Just off the cuff and without checking, I think Tom Shippey may
      > have cited this example when discussing the history of philology
      > in THE ROAD TO MIDDLE-EARTH. Therefore, connected with Tolkien
      > in a way, but not actually his words.

      Page 10 of my copy, although I'm not sure that is what I thought I
      was remembering. It could be that I had so blended Shippey's
      anecdote in my mind with Tolkien's letter where he scans through
      several Indo-European words that I created a false memory for myself.

      Thanks for the reference. I don't know if it will ever satisfy my
      curiosity, but I hope it shall. :)