Re: Swordsmanship in some of today's fantasy movies

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2003
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Apgar Triano"
      <lizziewriter@e...> wrote:
      > OK I am not a movie fan, or rather, I haven't made time to be one.
      > I haven't seen many movies lately. But I've seen FOTR twice, and
      > most of the first two Harry Potter movies. In fact I saw the
      > second half of Chamber of Secrets last night. As Harry was
      > swinging Godric Griffyndor's (sp) sword around, I had a severe case
      > of being unable to suspend disbelief. No way
      > could he wave that thing one-handed.

      When I was Daniel Radcliffe's age, I had very little trouble swinging
      a sword of about the same size and shape. His actions in the movie
      are hardly tutored (I have a bigger problem with him actually killing
      the giant snake the way he does -- but then, Harry IS supposed to be
      showing remarkable courage).

      If the sword's weight is distributed properly, a young teenage boy
      can learn to use it well enough. It's not like the Gryffindor blade
      was a six foot long claymore.

      And, presumably, it was also a magical sword (so the magic should
      help Harry in all sorts of ways).